Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: section in GedcomTag

section in GedcomTag 1 week 9 hours ago #1

• otmar.mayr
  • otmar.mayr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior
  • Junior
It would be nice if I didn't have to add this section after every Update in GedcomTag.php.

case '_ADPN': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _ADPN */ I18N::translate('Adoptive name');
case '_FARN': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _FARN */ I18N::translate('Farm name');
case '_FKAN': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _FKAN */ I18N::translate('Formal name');
case '_FRKA': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _FRKA */ I18N::translate('Formerly known as');
case '_INDG': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _INDG */ I18N::translate('Indigenous name');
case '_OTHN': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _OTHN */ I18N::translate('Other name');
case '_RELN': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _RELN */ I18N::translate('Religious name');
case '_RUFNAME': return /* I18N: gedcom tag _RUFNAME */ I18N::translate('Rufname');
www.verwandten.info / PHP Version 7.2.12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

section in GedcomTag 1 week 9 hours ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> It would be nice if I didn't have to add this section after every Update in GedcomTag.php.

Then the good news is that I am working on some changes that will allow you to create new tags with a simple module!
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

section in GedcomTag 1 week 8 hours ago #3

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
You don't need to if you switch to standard GEDCOM structures instead of using custom tags.

The standard GEDCOM way is to have multiple names per individual. Each name can have a type:

* adopted
* aka
* birth
* change
* estate
* immigrant
* maiden
* married
* religious

I think the following mapping might work for you:

* farm -> estate
* formal -> birth? (question is what "formal" really means other than "not informal" which is for instance a nick name)
* formerly -> change (personally I find it difficult to handle name changes without making clear in notes which name was used in what period)

You can tweak descriptions with custom translations which do not get lost with updates.

Another solution is to clone the git repo, make a branch of your own to do the tweak in, and pull changes from master at every update.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

section in GedcomTag 1 week 4 hours ago #4

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
  • Gold
I agree with Bert 100%. GEDCOM has a wonderful, open and totally transportable set of generic tags already built into its structure.

For multiple names just add a second name tag and use the TYPE tag to identify the type of name added. I do this regularly in my database. This is far better than creating new and generally hard to support custom tags.
Ken

section in GedcomTag 1 week 3 hours ago #5

Not to forget the great advantage that this procedure considers all names at the search function.
webtrees 1.7.16 and 2.0.3
PHP 7.3.12, MySQL 5.7.25
Webhosting: genonline.de

section in GedcomTag 1 week 1 hour ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
If I remember correctly, Otmar uses a desktop application to edit his genealogy, and only uses webtrees to display and share it.

So, he is stuck with the GEDCOM that is produced by his desktop application...
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Page: