Web based family history software

Question Unable to update or add media - Solved

• arendzen
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #1 by arendzen
Unable to update or add media was created by arendzen
I've been trying to update to the latest version but receive the following message - curl_exec(): Unable to create temporary file, Check permissions in temporary files directory. I've tried changing permissions in the tmp folders but it makes no difference. I approached my web hosts who say there's no problem at their end and suggest I try raising the issue with the developers.

There is another problem, which I think is related as it happened at the same time. I can't add media - the page just hangs on "save" - this is a new problem as it worked OK before. I've been running webtrees for more than five years without a problem.

If anyone could offer a suggestion, I'd be very grateful.

I suspect that the problem is with the server rather than the webtrees software as I had a similar recent problem with Wordpress which I got round by adding a temp file and adding a direction to it in config.php - I'm wondering whether there might be a similar workaround in webtrees?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Unable to update or add media
> curl_exec(): Unable to create temporary file

It could be that your server is configured to create temporary files in a folder to which it does not have write permission...

Look in the folder modules_v4.
There is some information about how to create custom modules and a few templates/examples.
One is called "example-server-configuration".

It has code (all commented out) which attempts to modify the server setup.

You could look at the section which creates/uses/configures a new temp folder.

> I can't add media - the page just hangs on "save" - this is a new problem as it worked OK before.

This could be many things.

Does your control panel show any warnings/errors about missing PHP libraries/functions, etc.?

Are you trying to upload the same image as one you previously uploaded? That would cause this issue.
(It's been fixed, wait for the next release).

Enable the developer tools in your browser, and look at the HTTP responses
after you click "Save". It may contain an error message.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• arendzen
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #3 by arendzen
Replied by arendzen on topic Unable to update or add media
Thank you for the reply - I've not looked inside the modules folder so I'll investigate further.

I'm getting no warnings when attempting to upload media. I just go through the usual steps of uploading from the computer, click "save" but nothing happens and I remain on that page. I'll try enabling developer tools to see if that prompts an error message.

I've not tried uploading the same file twice so it's not that. But I think, because both problems occurred at the same time, that they are somehow related - so, if I can solve the first, perhaps I won't have any further issues with the second.

If I can resolve these problems following your advice, I'll report back! Thanks.

• arendzen
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #4 by arendzen
No error messages showing up I'm afraid using developer tools. I've tried a fresh install of webtrees in another directory but am still unable to add media. I tried adding media from a file on the computer without success (just hangs on "save") - and also tried adding using an URL.

The URL attempt brought up a "pending changes" link which I clicked and accepted but no media was added. But now, instead of seeing a silhouette, I see a red square with 500 on it. Which leads me to think that the software thinks it has added an image and, when it can't find it, replaces it with the red square. I can't find a media folder - there isn't one in data.

Considering this is a fresh install using the latest version, I suspect there is a problem at the server so I'll get back to my web host and ask them to look again. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas where the problem might lie, I'd appreciate further help as I'm completely out of ideas.

Edit to add that I've checked the logs and I get this error - Cannot create thumbnail Unable to write temp file for 'xxx.jpg' - Also, in attempting to add a number of files to the media folder, I receive the following error message "The PHP temporary folder is missing"
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by arendzen.

• arendzen
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #5 by arendzen
An update. I have added the following to a php.ini file and uploaded it to the root -

upload_max_filesize = 16M
upload_tmp_dir = on
upload_tmp_dir = /home/username/public_html/tmp

Replacing username with my login name.

I have also added a tmp folder to the root.

I am now able to upload files without getting an error message. However I am still not seeing a thumbnail image in place of the red square (now saying 404 rather than 500) - the log gives this message "Cannot create thumbnail tempnam..."

• arendzen
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #6 by arendzen
Replied by arendzen on topic Unable to update or add media - Solved
Posting this for the benefit of anyone who encounters a similar problem. The issue was caused by an error on the server (in spite of an earlier denial by them) and was fixed by the web host. It wasn't a webtrees issue - a relief because it's a super app.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by arendzen.