Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Unable to install large GEDCOM file 6 days 23 hours ago #1

• RottenSod
  • RottenSod's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Hi,

I am a newcomer to Webtrees and it looks excellent. I apologise if this has been asked before but I can't find the answer I'm looking for in the Forum.

I have two family trees on my site but the larger one will not install. "Calculating..." remains on the page forever. This is true on my main website (hosted by UK2) and on my local network server. Over 4 hours so far on the latter.

I expected to run out of memory or resources on the hosted site and this is borne out by this result after monitoring the network:

Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65536 bytes)
/williamsfamilytree.uk/public_html/wt/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOStatement.php: 117

There is no such error on the local server though as far as I can see.

The files are exported from Legacy as GEDCOM 5.5.1 only. One is 4,051KB and works fine, the other is 185,997KB and doesn't. Both have been uploaded via FTP to the Webtrees data folder.

My local (Ubuntu) server is running PHP version 7.2.24 and MySQL 5.0.12, the remote server is running PHP version 7.2.31 and MySQL 5.0.12.

My plan was to load the database on the local server and then transfer it from the local to the remote via HeidiSQL. This method works fine for my TNG databases. However, any solution would be most welcome.

How do I know that the (local) server is still working and how long do you think I may have to wait for a result? I realise that a definitive answer is not possible but you experienced users may have some idea.

Is there another method of importing large GEDCOM files?

My other question is how do I delete a family tree when I have no access to the control panel for it?

Any help to get this sorted would be most welcome.

Cheers,

RottenSod
The Williams Family Tree
williamsfamilytree.uk/wt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unable to install large GEDCOM file 6 days 23 hours ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> how long do you think I may have to wait for a result?

The "calculating" message is shown while webtrees deletes all the existing data from your database.

Most likely, your server didn't have enough power to complete this task before it reached its CPU time limit.

If the server never sends a response, then the browser will show "calculating" indefinitely.

It is possible that the server completed the task, but never sent a success response.
This can happen if your webserver timeout is less than your PHP timeout.

(i.e. PHP can spend 20 minutes performing the task, but after 30 seconds, apache will send an error message saying that PHP didn't provide a response.)

In this case, click in the URL bar and press enter to load the page again.
(DO NOT PRESS F5 or whatever else reloads the page in your browser. This will resubmit the import/upload, and it will just start over.)

If this doesn't help, you can delete the data directly in MySQL.

Use the table wt_gedcom to identify the numeric ID of the tree you want to delete.

Then delete rows from the following tables with the same ID

DELETE FROM wt_individuals WHERE i_file=<ID>;
DELETE FROM wt_families WHERE f_file=<ID>;
DELETE FROM wt_link WHERE l_file=<ID>;
DELETE FROM wt_name WHERE n_file=<ID>;

There are others, but these are the big ones.

> My other question is how do I delete a family tree when I have no access to the control panel for it?

You'll probably have the same issue. If your server doesn't have enough power to delete the tree as part of the re-import, then it won't be able to do it from the delete menu either.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Unable to install large GEDCOM file 6 days 21 hours ago #3

• RottenSod
  • RottenSod's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Thanks for the quick response. I am going to attempt to upgrade my local XAMPP and then try a reinstallation.
If I don't come back it was successful ... :-)

Cheers.
The Williams Family Tree
williamsfamilytree.uk/wt

• Page: