Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Record changes 3 weeks 1 day ago #1

• clivejo
  • clivejo's Avatar Topic Author
  • New
  • New
Is there any way to display a changelog on individual's records to see which user created, edited it over time? I know I can go into the Control Panel > Website logs and search using the ID, but this is very time consuming and only admin can do it.

Ideally, it would be nice to have an option to turn it on and to display to members/visitors. I understand turning it on to visitors would probably create a lot more CPU and database accesses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Record changes 3 weeks 1 day ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Try:

Control panel -> Family tree -> Changes log
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Record changes 3 weeks 1 day ago #3

• clivejo
  • New
  • New
Sorry, I mean on the actual record page.

Like where there is Extra Information, we can see the last change. I would like to be able to see the entire changelog for that record, without having to go into Control Panel.

The system is saving the data, as it is available in the Control Panel, just would like to add it as a feature to the web GUI, for non-technical users to be able to see this.

Kinda like they have on Family Search, where you can see who has worked on the record, since it was created (subject to the data actually being in the webtrees logs)

Last edit: by clivejo.

Record changes 3 weeks 1 day ago #4

A good idea for a "Request For New Feature".

Record changes 2 weeks 2 days ago #5

• clivejo
  • New
  • New
How do I go about requesting it as a new feature?

Record changes 2 weeks 2 days ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> display to members/visitors.

How would you display it?

In the control panel, we show a text-based "diff" of the GEDCOM data.
This is because we assume site-admins have some knowledge of GEDCOM.
For users/visitors, we'd need to show the differences using something less technical...

There is also the issue of privacy. Suppose the edit was to hide some data that should not have been shown?

Would we also need to access all the historic privacy settings and match them against the historic data?

This could be quite complicated/difficult to design.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Record changes 2 weeks 2 days ago #7

• clivejo
  • New
  • New
Well :

To visitors, just the very basic info. Record creation date (if known), and the date and time of changes up to present day.

To members, same as above but with username of who made the changes.

To Moderators and better, same as above but with a link to a page displaying the diff to see what has changed.

Maybe have a permissions matrix which the site admin can assign and choose what levels see what information. In my case, I would probably give members the permission to see the full diffs.

Last edit: by clivejo.
  • Page: