Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ordering events 2 weeks 2 days ago #1

• guidovanharten
  • guidovanharten's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior
  • Junior
I have many "gesture of gratitude" cards in my collection and I want to store them into my tree.
Many of these cards only have a date containing month and year. When recording only the month and year, this card is not in the right order on a person's page. Sometimes I find this card before a person died.
I tried to enter a second date and set the restriction to show this detail only to the managers:
1 EVEN
2 OBJE @X304099@
2 TYPE Dankbetuiging
2 DATE AFT 08 JAN 2001
3 RESN confidential
2 DATE JAN 2001
but that doesn't work. webtrees displays the first date.
Changing it to
2 DATE JAN 2001
3 RESN confidential
2 DATE AFT 08 JAN 2001
result in calculating of an event date 1 JAN 2001, which is wrong.

How can I solve that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ordering events 2 weeks 2 days ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
  • Gold
GEDCOM only allows one DATE tag. Therefore, if you have more than one I would suspect (But not sure) that the first one would be used.

RESN tags are only valid on the fact, NOT the date!
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

ordering events 2 weeks 2 days ago #3

• bertkoor
  • Platinum
  • Platinum
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
The usual approach is to duplicate the whole fact/event and have a public and private version. Lots of work and confusing for readers with more access.

To be honoust, I would be surprised if visitors are interested at all in these cards. Too much detail for them, what does it add?. So think about keeping it completely private.

Just out of interest, how do you store this?
Say there's a big life event happening to person A. It usually involves another person B being born, getting married with, or having deceised. Person C shows interest, so A sends a thank-you card back to C.

At which person do you store what? And why?
Not every piece of paper in your archive needs to be converted to a gedcom fact/event.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Last edit: by bertkoor.

ordering events 2 weeks 1 day ago #4

"JAN 2001" is equal to "BET 01 JAN 2001 AND 31 JAN 2001". If you have more than one DATE record, then the first one is the more important one. So webtrees behaves perfectly.

The following version is in my opinion the right one, if you know that it was sent in January 2001 and after the person died on January, 8:
1 EVEN
2 OBJE @X304099@
2 TYPE Dankbetuiging
2 DATE BET 09 JAN 2001 AND 31 JAN 2001

@Bert: why not storing this information? I would add an _ASSO to this event linked to the sender of the card. because this indicates that on that date the sender was still alive. This may help if the sender is related to the family.
webtrees 2.0.7 (all available custom modules installed) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/
and webtrees 1.7.17 (many custom modules) @ ahnen1.hartenthaler.eu/

• Page: