Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

father's name ("patroniem"/"patronyme") 2 weeks 1 hour ago #1

• guidovanharten
  • guidovanharten's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior
  • Junior
I remember I entered a similar question a few months ago, but I can't find it in the forum.

I am looking for a way to enter the father's name (patronyme),
The patronyme was in use before ca. 1811, when Napoleon introduces the surnames in The Netherlands.
John is the son of Peter, so John was called John Peterson,
Peterson should not be the official surname of John as of 1811. People are free to choose another surname.
If John owns a mill (molen in Dutch), he could choose "Molenaar" as his surname). In the first decennia after 1811, he was called John Peterson Molenaar. Later generations the patronyme was unused, so his descendants only use their first name and the surname ("Johnny Molenaar").

What is the best way to store this in Webtrees?
1 NAME John Peterson/ Molenaar/
2 SURN Molenaar
1 NAME Peterson
2 TYPE patronyme

This way shows the tag patronyme in the name section, while aka is not visible by default. Are there other ways to store this?

Best regards,
Guido

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

father's name ("patroniem"/"patronyme") 1 week 6 days ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
  • Gold
In Norway, before 1924, people were not required to have a surname that was passed on to future generation. Many people took names from the farm they lived on as surnames after 1924.

Very often, like today in Iceland, people did not have surnames but took the name identifier as their father’s son or dotter, along with their current farm name.

The way I enter these people, which is more than half of my ancestors is:

1 NAME Oskar Pederson Bruflot
2 GIVN Oskar

What this tells me is that the individual did not have a surname (no //), has a given name with the Patronymic name and the current farm (Bruflot).

If the person was of a family group, such as a direct ancestor of my grandfather or grandmother I add a surname from that family group, such as Olsen.

This then creates a “OLSEN” sort entry in the surname list so they are found with all of the other Olsen family that truly had a surname of Olsen.

1 NAME Oskar Pederson Bruflot
2 GIVN Oskar
2 SURN Olsen
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

father's name ("patroniem"/"patronyme") 1 week 6 days ago #3

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
  • Gold
Another example could be:

1 NAME Ole Johannes Toresen
2 GIVN Ole Johannes
2 SURN Olsen, Førde

Toresen is a patronymic name, not a surname. Olsen and Førde are two surname grouping for sorting purposes only, displayed as “OLSEN” or “FØRDE” in surname lists to organize them with others that have that surname or are of that group/ancestors.

For those few people that lived in the transition time I make two NAME entries.

1 NAME Maria Olsdotter Bruflot
2 GIVN Maria
2 SURN Olsen
2 TYPE birth
1 NAME Maria /Bruflot/
2 GIVN Maria
2 SURN Bruflot
2 TYPE aka

This then shows that she was born with one name and later took a different name, she would show up in both the Bruflot name list and the OLSEN name list.
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.
  • Page: