Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Questions about the update to v2 1 week 1 day ago #1

• mp
  • mp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior
  • Senior
While updating to webtrees 2 I noticed the following things:

- Is it no longer possible to set a theme per family tree in webtrees 2? You can set a default theme, but you cannot select another one in the settings of each family tree.

- Is it possible to turn off the theme selection for visitors without reducing the number of themes to just one?

- Are there any known size limits or restrictions for the update from v1.7.17 to v2?
Background of the question: For a genealogical society I set up a webtrees installation and since then I have added 25 family trees with a total of nearly 400,000 persons and 132,000 families to the database via Gedcom. For the update I copied the database, uploaded webtrees 2 freshly, adjusted the config.ini.php and then called the page. I got database errors displayed. I then repeated the copying of the original database in different ways and only after I left out certain, very extensive tables, webtrees 2 started and made the necessary database updates without error message. Since then it runs normally, only all Gedcom files had to be uploaded again. The site runs with PHP 7.3 and MySQL 5.7 - there are only a few settings at the hoster.

- If "pretty urls" are used and redirection of the old URL's is enabled (default), links to individual family trees are still not redirected correctly. The visitor always ends up on the start page (standard family tree). For example an old link to a specific family tree. Is this known and reproducible for others?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Questions about the update to v2 1 week 2 hours ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> Is it no longer possible to set a theme per family tree in webtrees 2?

Correct.

> Is it possible to turn off the theme selection for visitors

Not easily.

The menu is created by the theme, so it is only possible to modify it in a custom theme.

Maybe you could create a new custom theme/module to replace each existing theme, e.g.
something like this...
class MyWebtreesTheme extends WebtreesTheme {

public function menuThemes(): ?Menu
  {
    if (Auth::check()) {
      return parent::menuTheme();
    }
    return null;
  }
}

> Are there any known size limits or restrictions for the update from v1.7.17 to v2?

I cannot think of any.

> 25 family trees with a total of nearly 400,000 persons

I know of several sites with >1,000,000 individuals.

> If "pretty urls" are used and redirection of the old URL's is enabled (default), links to individual family trees are still not redirected correctly. The visitor always ends up on the start page (standard family tree). For example an old link to a specific family tree.

> Is this known and reproducible for others?

Yes. Redirects were only created for URLs that do not exist in webtrees 2.0. e.g. individual.php, family.php, etc.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Questions about the update to v2 4 days 1 hour ago #3

• mp
  • mp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior
  • Senior

> Is it no longer possible to set a theme per family tree in webtrees 2?

Correct.

> Is it possible to turn off the theme selection for visitors

Not easily.

It is a pity that these possibilities have been dropped.

The menu is created by the theme, so it is only possible to modify it in a custom theme.

Maybe you could create a new custom theme/module to replace each existing theme, e.g.
something like this...

class MyWebtreesTheme extends WebtreesTheme {

public function menuThemes(): ?Menu
  {
    if (Auth::check()) {
      return parent::menuTheme();
    }
    return null;
  }
}

I have made similar additions to the ModuleThemeTrait.php and it works. Thanks a lot.

> Are there any known size limits or restrictions for the update from v1.7.17 to v2?

I cannot think of any.

> 25 family trees with a total of nearly 400,000 persons

I know of several sites with >1,000,000 individuals.

I already know that there are larger webtrees installations, but can they be updated to v2 without migration problems? During my installation this only worked if the tables with the person and family data were empty. The database had a size of 1.3 GB as SQL export.

> If "pretty urls" are used and redirection of the old URL's is enabled (default), links to individual family trees are still not redirected correctly. The visitor always ends up on the start page (standard family tree). For example an old link to a specific family tree.

> Is this known and reproducible for others?

Yes. Redirects were only created for URLs that do not exist in webtrees 2.0. e.g. individual.php, family.php, etc.

Thanks, now I have understood the function.
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de

Questions about the update to v2 3 days 19 hours ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> I already know that there are larger webtrees installations, but can they be updated to v2 without migration problems?

I recently upgraded a site with >1,000,000 individuals. There were no problems.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Page: