Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Duplicate Media Object 1 month 3 days ago #1

• vdrumsroland
  • vdrumsroland's Avatar Topic Author
Before upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0, each time I would add a media object to a source/event/fact it would always duplicate the object creating one for whatever I had attached it to, plus a media object. Does anyone happen to know an easy way of cleaning up the "duplicates" of these objects?

This looks to be corrected with 2.0.
Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Duplicate Media Object 1 month 2 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It is not clear whether you have

two media objects (refering to the same media file), both linked from the individual.
one media object, linked twice from the individual.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Duplicate Media Object 1 month 2 days ago #3

• vdrumsroland
  • vdrumsroland's Avatar Topic Author
Here’s what would happen.
I’ll use the burial fact for an example. I’d create the burial, add the pertinent details, go to the media section to add a photo of the headstone. If I did all of this prior to first saving the burial details, once I add the media it would erase everything I had first input.
So...
I’d have to add the details, then save. Then go back into the burial fact, create the new media connected to it. Each time I wanted to do this it never had the individual listed so I would have to select them. After that, I would save/upload the media. It would take me back to the burial fact but wouldn't add the media, I would then have to locate what I had just uploaded and save.

After this, if I didn’t go into the Media tab to clean up the duplicate I would have two of the same photos, one linked to the burial and the other just a Media Object linked to the individual.
Also, when adding media like this I would know that it would refresh the info, so I would always do the later by inputting the data, save, then reopen to add the media. The bad thing is that I would sometimes forget to go back and delete the media object leaving the fact/source/event linked media.

Last edit: by vdrumsroland.
  • Page: