Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Copy tree on same server 1 month 2 days ago #1

• df23
  • df23's Avatar Topic Author
Hi I need to create a copy of one of my trees and for that copy to be on the same server
Tree "Main" to be copied to "MainCopy".
I could export to main.ged, create the new tree MainCopy and then import main.ged into it - would that work? What about the media files for Main, do i need to copy those to a new location and will MainCopy know where the media files are located? is there anything else i need to be aware of?
thanks in advance
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Copy tree on same server 1 month 2 days ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Yes, I think export & import should work, including correct media. Just try that, and report back your findings. All the pictures reside in one shared (protected) folder called "media"
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Copy tree on same server 1 month 2 days ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Two (or more trees) can share the same media files.

They just need to have the "Media folder" setting the same in the tree preferences.

By default, all trees use "media/" as a media folder, so unless you changed something, then your two copies of the tree will automatically share the same media files.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Copy tree on same server 1 month 2 days ago #4

• Peter_S
... and don't forget to copy the preferences and privacy settings of the old family tree manually.

Such a feature could be a helpful requirement for future versions, as extensive settings are time-consuming to transfer.

Best regards
Peter
Peter

webtrees 1.7.17 and 2.0.11, vesta modules
PHP 7.3.12, MySQL 5.7.25
Webhosting: genonline.de

• Page: