Web based family history software

Question View all family tree

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #21 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic View all family tree
If I had a 100 users (family members) looking at my tens of thousands of listed individuals in the database, off line "scheduled" runs would still use up all memory and CPU.

But again if the program does not do what you want, then you are welcome to look elsewhere. The previous entries here have given you some ideas. But I suspect that more than a hundred people in your database will not fit on any standard sheet of paper.

I once wrote a program that mapped out a database schema with all interconnection of the record types (about 150 record types) it took a piece of paper 3ft by 5ft in size and required a special printer.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #22 by Arianna
Replied by Arianna on topic View all family tree
All you need is the file (image or pdf) and I can have it printed in the typography. It doesn't even cost that much.
At worst they print on multiple sheets and then join.
And whoever wants can look at it anyway on the computer (but complete, not like now) as well as print it.
So size doesn't seem like a problem to me.

The problem can only be the server resources needed to generate it.

More
3 years 1 month ago #23 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic View all family tree

Arianna wrote: the other module looks really bad! (with overlapping lettering)

This seems to be a bug with Firefox v85. Either wait for Firefox v87, use a different browser or - as a hotfix with no guarantee - download and replace the following 2 files:
Although for 67 people it sounds simple, printing ALL individuals is a difficult task. There are not many software solutions which can do this in a nice way. You should have a look at www.syniumsoftware.com/mobilefamilytree , they offer a Mac version as well. It will do what you want, but you'll have to pay a one time license fee.

Peter

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #24 by Arianna

Sir Peter wrote: You should have a look at www.syniumsoftware.com/mobilefamilytree , they offer a Mac version as well. It will do what you want, but you'll have to pay a one time license fee.

It looks very nice!!!
But it's only for iPhone or iPad (and Mac) :(

I have both iPhone and iPad, but this software I prefer to use on a pc (and I haven't a Mac)

PS. However, the fact that I choose a person and do not show me brothers and sister just don't understand!
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Arianna.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #25 by norwegian_sardines
You said:

PS. However, the fact that I choose a person and do not show me brothers and sister just don't understand!

Siblings of an individual are shown on a chart as follows:

1) Go to the individual you want to display
2) In the "Family Navigator" section, select "Family with parents "
3) A graphic page will be displayed with all siblings, parents, grand parents.

Ken

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #26 by norwegian_sardines
If a client asks me for graphic information about various families I can do a Windows "snip" of the graphic and drop it into a MS-Word document.

Ken
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by norwegian_sardines.

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #27 by Arianna

norwegian_sardines wrote: You said:

Siblings of an individual are shown on a chart as follows:

1) Go to the individual you want to display
2) In the "Family Navigator" section, select "Family with parents "
3) A graphic page will be displayed with all siblings, parents, grand parents.

But that only shows the "close" family.

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately that's not what I was looking for.
I will check the other modules to see if I find something I can use, otherwise I will look for another software.

Thanks anyway

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #28 by norwegian_sardines
Enjoy your search. If you find a promising solution, please come back and let us know.

Ken

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 1 month ago #29 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic View all family tree
I think the Hourglass chart or Interactive Tree comes closest to your needs.

You said it doesn't show siblings & cousins. That is a simple matter of setting the perspective. These charts are drawn with one person in the middle. Change that person to one of your parents, and all your siblings will be included. Set the base person one step further to one of your grandparents, and all your cousins will be included.

Another objection you could have is the orientation - they read from right to left instead of top to bottom. That is an intentional design to fit more persons on one page.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #30 by Stedewa
Replied by Stedewa on topic View all family tree

Arianna wrote: I have already put them both, but as I said, in both cases, if I select myself, it does not show me my sister, nieces ...
And anyway I would like to see the whole map: my mother has a "picture" made by hand. I wanted to print it for him. For this I have installed webtrees. But apparently it doesn't do what I need ...

ps. the other module looks really bad! (with overlapping lettering)

This is a new problem, I see it today as you but some weeks ago, it doesn't exist. But this problem is in Firefox, but not in Chrome for example.
Try it with : dewarrat.net/genealogie/index.php?route=...ees-fan-chart%2FI102

You can also set "Number of inner levels" to 0.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Stedewa.

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #31 by Arianna

Stedewa wrote: This is a new problem, I see it today as you but some weeks ago, it doesn't exist. But this problem is in Firefox, but not in Chrome for example.
Try it with : dewarrat.net/genealogie/index.php?route=...ees-fan-chart%2FI102

You can also set "Number of inner levels" to 0.

In this way it actually looks good. Thank you! :)
I just have to solve the problem of seeing them all! :D

• hermann
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #32 by hermann
Replied by hermann on topic View all family tree
Another possibility: In webtrees version 1 there was a custom module "Topola" which can show you "all" persons and allows you to print them. See as an example my old tree . Use "view all". But this module is not available for webtrees 2.

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by hermann.

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #33 by Arianna

hermann wrote: Another possibility: In webtrees version 1 there was a custom module "Topola" which can show you "all" persons and allows you to print them. See as an example my old tree . Use "view all". But this module is not available for webtrees 2.

Great!!! :)
That's what I needed!
I don't know your family, so I can't figure out if you see everyone, but I seem to understand yes!!!
I should just wait for them to update, but on github I see that the project has been stopped for two years.
If I can understand the differences between version 1 and version 2 modules and I can port myself ...

• hermann
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #34 by hermann
Replied by hermann on topic View all family tree
Topola was even in webtrees 1 a very special module because it was not fully integrated, it was more a plug-in with a basic integration into webtrees. Maybe that makes it easier when you try to port it to webtrees 2. Another possibility is to install the last version 1 of webtrees 1.7.17 and use this together with Topola.

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

• Bogie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Life is good!
More
3 years 1 month ago #35 by Bogie
Replied by Bogie on topic View all family tree
IMHO you probably won't find a software which fullfills exactly what you are looking for.
For a nice looking tree as a wall panel you supposedly would like to see the inner family with siblings, nephews, nices, may be partners, may be some cousins and of course the ancestors. And all of those should be arranged nicely (depending on your findings in former generations) and printed on an appealing background.
For that I'm using Adobe Illustrator for arranging and maintining my tree. With Adobe Photoshop it is rendered together with background and graphic elements. The output is a big PDF-file which is sent for printing on canvas to one of those agencies on the web.
That way you get a perfect layout and exactly what you want. The only disadvantage is the inital effort which is substatial and you don't do it every year. But you can keep track and add new findings and prepare for printing whenever you find it reasonable.

Bogie
webtrees 2.1.19 | PHP 8.1.27 | MariaDB 10.5.23 | Apache on Ubuntu 12.9
AutoComplete places of @tkempf, chart modules of @magicsunday, Fancy treeview of @justCarmen

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #36 by Arianna

hermann wrote: Topola was even in webtrees 1 a very special module because it was not fully integrated, it was more a plug-in with a basic integration into webtrees. Maybe that makes it easier when you try to port it to webtrees 2.

I'm seeing. But I have never developed any module for webtrees and this is the first time I see its source.

Adding that module the first error is missing abstract classes.
I put them in the module.php: the error is gone and the site loads, but the module does not appear in the control panel or even in the menu.
Code:
/** * CSS class for the URL. * * @return string */ public function chartMenuClass(): string { return null; //'menu-chart-topola'; //commented because there is no css for this module } /* * Return a menu item for this chart - for use in individual boxes. * * @param Individual $individual * * @return Menu|null */ public function chartBoxMenu(Individual $individual): ?Menu { return $this->chartMenu($individual); } /** * The title for a specific instance of this chart. * * @param Individual $individual * * @return string */ public function chartTitle(Individual $individual): string { return I18N::translate('Interactive tree (Topola): %s', $individual->fullName()); } /** * A form to request the chart parameters. * * @param Individual $individual * @param mixed[] $parameters * * @return string */ public function chartUrl(Individual $individual, array $parameters = []): string { return route(static::class, [ 'xref' => $individual->xref(), 'tree' => $individual->tree()->name(), ] + $parameters + self::DEFAULT_PARAMETERS); } public function chartUrlAttributes(): array { } public function chartMenu(Individual $individual): Menu { return new Menu( $this->getChartTitle("Interactive tree (Topola)"), $this->chartUrl($individual), $this->chartMenuClass(), $this->chartUrlAttributes() ); }

I don't know if it's because I left the "chartUrlAttributes()" function empty, but I don't know what to do with this

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #37 by Arianna
I'm trying in every way to update it but I can't.
But downgrading to webtrees 1.7 scares me...

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #38 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic View all family tree
If you only want to test a module for v1.7 and keep v2.x as well,, I'd advice to install it in a separate folder on your server, or use Xampp to run it on your own pc. Then do a gedcom export in v2 and import that in v1.7 to transfer your data.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by bertkoor.

• Arianna
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #39 by Arianna
Solved (temporary) using directly pewu.github.io/topola-viewer

But I'll try to update topola module

More
3 years 1 month ago #40 by ddrury
Replied by ddrury on topic View all family tree

But I'll try to update topola module

Have you seen the example modules in webtrees/modules_v4?

--
Dave

Local: Win 11 Pro, WSL2/Ubuntu20.04.4, Apache 2.4.51, PHP 7.4.26/8.1.7, MySQL 8.0.27
Production: Litespeed 8.0.1, PHP 8.1.9, MySQL 8.0.26