Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.

TOPIC:

View all family tree 2 months 3 weeks ago #41

• Arianna
  • Arianna's Avatar Topic Author
yes, but for graphs there is none like it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

View all family tree 2 months 3 weeks ago #42

• ddrury
If you're attempting to update the Topola module then having had a quick glance at the existing module It seems to me that the only thing you need to do is embed an iFrame and update the scripting to make the appropriate calls to Topola (maybe using a local view - see the custom theme module as a basis)
--
Dave

Local: Win 10 Pro/WSL Apache 2.4.41, PHP 7.4.16/8.0.3, MariaDB 10.4.10
Production: Apache 2.2, PHP 7.3.27, 10.3.18-MariaDB

View all family tree 1 month 1 day ago #43

There was another thirdparty addon in webtrees 1.7 coming close to Arianna's expectations: GVExport.
However it needs an additional installation of Grafviz on the server to produce the chart.
GVExport exports the charts in pdf, png, jpg or svg. You can enter as many reference-persons for a diagram as you want. You choose how many ancestor- and offspring generations of each reference-person you want to be included. Also you choose to include the sibs, cousins and spouses of the reference persons.
Resulting graphs can be very complex. But can also produce small charts just to display special parts and relations iny our ancestry.
Lack of this module prevents me to migrate to webtrees 2 at the moment.
There are further clues of this add on.
Displaying svg with the browser allows you to click on any dispayed person of a diagram to open its personal page in webtrees. That is a very efficient way to navigate through a complex family tree.
Also the produced pdf-files are quite small even in a chart for hundreds of persons (vector grafic). They can be viewed easily by any pdf-viewer.
I have produced several printouts in formats like 1 x 2 meter, sending pdf-files to commercial online-print-services for architects. Cost for transport was almost higher, than for print.
An example of a produced pdf is attached.
Attachments:

View all family tree 1 month 7 hours ago #44

Other external software to consider:

www.yworks.com/products/yed

This is a general graph analysing suite, with support for family trees (gedcom import). I have used it on the whole tree as well as on subtrees generated with the clipping cart
Chris at genes.tronsmit.com

View all family tree 1 month 5 hours ago #45

• Arianna
  • Arianna's Avatar Topic Author

There was another thirdparty addon in webtrees 1.7 coming close to Arianna's expectations: GVExport.
However it needs an additional installation of Grafviz on the server to produce the chart.

Thanks!
I'll try as soon as I have time.
But I can only use it locally because generally in hosting they don't make you install libraries or the like ...

Other external software to consider:

www.yworks.com/products/yed

This is a general graph analysing suite, with support for family trees (gedcom import). I have used it on the whole tree as well as on subtrees generated with the clipping cart

This is a desktop application

View all family tree 1 month 4 hours ago #46

Get an adopted version for wt 1.7 here

github.com/IJMacD/GVExport

View all family tree 1 month 3 hours ago #47

• hermann
Thanks for the link! I installed it at my webtrees 1.7.18 version and it is running and generating dot commands. I cannot instal GraphViz on my hosting server, so I installed it locally on my Laptop. But when I put the dot-commands to the dot.exe application this program crashed. So I still have to do some more trial and error.
webtrees 2.0.16 (all available custom modules installed, php 7.4.15, MySQL 5.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/
and webtrees 1.7.18 (many custom modules) @ ahnen1.hartenthaler.eu/

Last edit: by hermann.

View all family tree 1 month 32 minutes ago #48

Sorry, I have no expertise on that.

View all family tree 1 week 2 days ago #49

• fariasmarcilio@outlook.com
Did you get anything from the TOPOLA plug-in?

Can you give me the link with his code on GITHUB

View all family tree 1 week 2 days ago #50

• hermann
webtrees 2.0.16 (all available custom modules installed, php 7.4.15, MySQL 5.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/

View all family tree 1 week 1 day ago #51

• ric2015
It shouldn't be too complicated to create a 2.x-compatible version of the Topola Webtrees Addon.

However, users of this addon should be aware that they are exporting their entire tree, as a GEDCOM file, to a third party, namely the site hosting the topola viewer (this site is loaded via an iframe within the webtrees chart).

Therefore using this addon has the same privacy implications as uploading a GEDCOM file directly to the Topola site, i.e. you are entrusting your tree to a third party. I don't mean to imply the site isn't actually trustworthy, but it's something you should be aware of. A quick look at the code of the Topola viewer itself shows that it uses Google Analytics, which may also be problematic - At least you may have to address this in your site's privacy policy in order to be GDPR-compliant.

A safer solution seems to be to actually integrate the Topola viewer itself into a custom module. This would have the additional benefit of being usable in offline mode, which isn't the case when using the Topola Webtrees Addon.
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

View all family tree 1 week 1 day ago #52

• hermann
Thank you for this clarification!

View all family tree 1 week 1 day ago #53

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
I saw this on Twitter last night. It was written with another type of diagram in mind, but holds truth imho for genealogy nevertheless:

Can someone who like looking at/reading giant diagrams explain to me what you get out of them? I get a lot out of *making* such diagrams, but my eyes roll back in my head when someone tries to show me one. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

You're not wrong. The act of drawing is where everything happens, not the reading. You need to be in the room when it happens. Every client I work with, no matter what prior diagrams they show me, I'm always drawing from scratch, asking questions, challenging etc.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13