Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #1

• Newbie67
  • Newbie67's Avatar Topic Author
Hi all,

In my GedCom created by RootsMagic, I have all places Geocoded.
They are in the GedCom file as follows

0 _PLAC 's-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, Nederland
1 MAP
2 LATI N51,7000000
2 LONG E5,3166667
0 _PLAC 't Zandt, Groningen, Nederland
1 MAP
2 LATI N53,3666667
2 LONG E6,7833333
0 _PLAC Abbega, Friesland, Nederland
1 MAP
2 LATI N53,0166667
2 LONG E5,5666667
0 _PLAC Achterdiep, Sappemeer, Groningen, Nederland
1 MAP
2 LATI N53,1833333
2 LONG E6,7833333

But when importing the gedcom into webtrees (2.0.13), the map locations are not imported
Is this a known limitation, are did I make a configuration mistake ?
Also tried Vesta Shared Places, but don't know what to do to make it use my locations from Gedcom

Any help is much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #2

• ric2015

But when importing the gedcom into webtrees (2.0.13), the map locations are not imported
Is this a known limitation, are did I make a configuration mistake ?
Also tried Vesta Shared Places, but don't know what to do to make it use my locations from Gedcom

Vesta only supports 0 _LOC records. Webtrees itself supports similar formats (see the code here and here ), but apparently not this particular one, i.e. _PLAC records with NS/EW-prefixed coordinates.
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Although webtrees can read/understand *most* non-standard GEDCOM data, there are several problems with this example:

Level 0 records should have a unique identifier that starts/ends with an "@". e.g. "@X123@".
This data does not have any identifiers.

LATI and LONG fields have a strict format. Your data is very close - but it uses "," instead of "." for the decimal.

So, we can't read these records (no ID), and we couldn't read the co-ordinates (bad format).

Of course, it would be possible to write code to read these, but I do not think that RootsMagic provides documentation for its custom GEDCOM extensions, and I have not seen an example of it before now...

Also, I have concerns about importing latitude/longitude automatically in cases like this.
webtrees has one location database, which is shared with all the trees on your site.
If you import a GEDCOM file with corrupt/invalid co-ordinates, it would overwrite all the "good" co-ordinates - which would cause problems for the other trees.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Newbie67
  • Newbie67's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks Greg !

According to the GEDCOM it should be 5.5.1 compatible. I will check if the newest version of RootsMagic will create different output.

Though, regarding your remark about the single location database for multiple trees, I see the big advantage.
Is there a way I can import the locations and coordinates (for example via a CSV file) instead of doing GeoCoding in Webtrees itself from scratch ?

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #5

Thanks Greg !

According to the GEDCOM it should be 5.5.1 compatible. I will check if the newest version of RootsMagic will create different output.

Though, regarding your remark about the single location database for multiple trees, I see the big advantage.
Is there a way I can import the locations and coordinates (for example via a CSV file) instead of doing GeoCoding in Webtrees itself from scratch ?

There is a way, but it can be confused as far as I can see.

If you from the Control panel scroll down to Geographic data, you will at the bottom of that page see three buttons, the two rightmost being Export file and Import file.

They will write - and read - CSV's

BUT: As I was testing them by doing a data round-trip, I noticed, that the import wouldn't accept its own export for the LATI and LONG figures.

Turned out, the export was writing dot-decimals, while the import apparently expected comma-decimals. This may have something to do with my systems settings or language options and could well be relevant to you as well. In my case, the problem was solved by doing a search and replace.

Last edit: by Bryld.

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> BUT: As I was testing them by doing a data round-trip, I noticed, that the import wouldn't accept its own export for the LATI and LONG figures.

Can you create an entry for this on the github issue tracker with all the details.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Geocodes not transferred into webtrees ? 1 month 1 week ago #7

Will do, but upon further experimenting, it would seem, that the problem, I experience, is actually not with dots vs commas (the script actually accepts both) but whether I choose "Delete all existing geographic data before importing the file." or not.

If I choose "Delete yes", nothing gets imported, if I choose "Delete no" (the default), both CSV's gets imported regardless of whether they use commas or dots.

Really odd...

• Page: