Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC:

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #1

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151
When using FamilySearch's ancestral file numbers, e. g.
1 NAME John /Doe/
1 AFN EXAM-PLE
where EXAM-PLE is just an example both the standard extra information block and the Vesta extra information block provide this incorrect link to the FamilySearch website
https://familysearch.org/search/tree/results#count=20&query=afn:EXAM-PLE
The same incorrect link is provided by webtrees 1.7.x and might be caused by a past change on the FamilySearch website. The correct link would point to exactly one individual and should read
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=EXAM-PLE
Is that something that can be fixed for the next release? Please let me know whether I should open an issue for this.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #2

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 14403
The problem with the URL www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=219X-KGQ is that it takes you to a login page.

A better URL is www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees...lts?q.afnId=219X-KGQ as this works for visitors.

> Is that something that can be fixed for the next release? Please let me know whether I should open an issue for this.

What version of webtrees are you using? This has already been updated.

For an example, see individual i7654 on my own site (runs webtrees 2.0.15)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #3

  • Franz Frese
  • Franz Frese's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 61
sorry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Franz Frese.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #4

  • ric2015
  • ric2015's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 239

Sir Peter wrote: When using FamilySearch's ancestral file numbers, e. g.

1 NAME John /Doe/
1 AFN EXAM-PLE


One thing to note in this context is that the FamilySearch identifier used in urls such as this one is not the AFN anyway. It is what's elsewhere known as the _FSFTID.

The AFN seems largely obsolete. The _FSFTID on the other hand is supported in Vesta, see here .
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #5

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151

fisharebest wrote: The problem with the URL www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=219X-KGQ is that it takes you to a login page.

A better URL is www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees...lts?q.afnId=219X-KGQ as this works for visitors.

> Is that something that can be fixed for the next release? Please let me know whether I should open an issue for this.

What version of webtrees are you using? This has already been updated.

For an example, see individual i7654 on my own site (runs webtrees 2.0.15)

The visitor friendly URL you mention is definitely the better choice. I was using webtrees 2.0.13, now upgraded to 2.0.15, upgraded the Vesta modules as well, but
  1. the AFN neither shows up on the standard facts and events tab nor on the Vesta facts and events tab
  2. the AFN does show up on both the extra information block and the Vesta extra information block though, but with the incorrect link.
So it seems I have 2 different issues. Again, I am using this format.
1 NAME John /Doe/
1 AFN EXAM-PLE

ric2015 wrote: ... is not the AFN anyway. It is what's elsewhere known as the _FSFTID.

Thanks for the clarification, but for the time being I feel bound to the AFN tag because it is a standard tag.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #6

  • ric2015
  • ric2015's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 239

Sir Peter wrote: Thanks for the clarification, but for the time being I feel bound to the AFN tag because it is a standard tag.


But then you should use it for actual AFNs only. Anyway I don't think it's reasonable to enhance the AFN tag with an url that doesn't actually point to an AFN-identified resource! The FamilySearch Ancestor ID for people in the shared family tree (i.e. the 'LR5C-WYH' in 'www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=LR5C-WYH') and the AFN (i.e. the '219X-KGQ' in 'www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees...lts?q.afnId=219X-KGQ') are two different resource schemes. You cannot just use the one in place of the other.
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #7

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151

ric2015 wrote: The FamilySearch Ancestor ID for people in the shared family tree (i.e. the 'LR5C-WYH' in 'www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=LR5C-WYH') and the AFN (i.e. the '219X-KGQ' in 'www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees...lts?q.afnId=219X-KGQ') are two different resource schemes. You cannot just use the one in place of the other.


"two different resource schemes" - I wasn't aware of that. Thanks again. I will think about wether it makes sense to use these FamilySearch Ancestor IDs anyway. They seem to get deleted in case of another user merging two individuals.

Nevertheless neither 1 AFN EXAM-PLE nor 1 _FSFTID EXAM-PLE show up on the standard facts and events tab nor on the Vesta facts and events tab, only on the extra information blocks. What am I doing wrong?
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #8

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151
Are AFN and _FSFTID maybe supposed to show up on the facts and event tabs only if the extra information blocks are NOT used?
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do you need a web hosting solution for your webtrees site?
If you prefer a host that specialises in webtrees, the following page lists some suppliers able to provide one for you: 

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #9

  • ric2015
  • ric2015's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 239

Sir Peter wrote: Are AFN and _FSFTID maybe supposed to show up on the facts and event tabs only if the extra information blocks are NOT used?


Yes, this is by design: That's what the extra information block is for. Currently, there is no way though to configure which facts you want to show there (other than in code of course).
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 6 days ago #10

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151
Thank you, Richard! Your support is very much appreciated. I think I'll move to _FSFTID then.

Resolved.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 5 days ago #11

  • Sir Peter
  • Sir Peter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 151
@ric2015, even with webtrees 2.0.15 and the respective Vesta modules the AFN link in the Vesta extra information box is still not correct. It is correct in the standard extra information box. Instead of
https://familysearch.org/search/tree/results#count=20&query=afn:EXAM-PLE
it should show
https://www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees/results?q.afnId=EXAM-PLE
Please let me know whether I shall open an issue.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extra information block: incorrect link to FamilySearch AFN 1 week 5 days ago #12

  • ric2015
  • ric2015's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Posts: 239

Sir Peter wrote: the AFN link in the Vesta extra information box is still not correct


I'll fix this in the next release.
Richard

webtrees 2.0.15 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4Webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Powered by Kunena Forum