Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Relationship to me - order of individuals 1 week 5 days ago #1

• Marky
  • Marky's Avatar Topic Author
When visiting the Relationships page from the 'Relationship to me' menu link the two individuals seem to be the wrong way round.

An example: If I'm on the page of a great-grandfather then I would expect the relationship to me to be 'great-grandfather' but instead the relationship shown is 'great-grandson' which is who I am to them not who they are to me.

I can, of course, swap the individuals to display the relationship I'm expecting but it seems the default order of the two individuals is wrong.

This is a trivial issue and more of an opinion rather than a suggestion that it isn't working correctly. If it is working as designed then any pointers as to what I can change would be appreciated as I would still like to swap the individuals before the page is displayed - I tried changing RelationshipsChartModule.php but ended up making things worse!

Thanks
Mark
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Relationship to me - order of individuals 1 week 5 days ago #2

• Sir Peter
It seems with webtrees 1.7.x "me" was the first individual, now with webtrees 2.x "me" is the second individual.

Example with webtrees 2:
  • the menu item reads "Relationship to me"
  • the headline reads "Relationship between 'father' (individual 1) and 'son' (individual 2)"
  • the line above the drawing then reads "Relationship: son".
I agree this is formally incorrect and may cause confusion. Exchanging individuals 1 and 2 when calling that page for the first time like it was with webtrees 1.7.x would resolve this issue. Alternatively the line above the drawing could read "Relationship: father and son". That would show both points of view right away.

The Vesta relationship module shows the same behaviour.
Peter

Relationship to me - order of individuals 1 week 5 days ago #3

• Marky
Thanks Peter for the reply.

Showing the relationship from both points of view would be less confusing for simple relationships (like father and son) but I think would be more confusing for the more complex ones - some are complex enough when described in just one direction.

I'm going to have another go at swapping the individuals before calling the page. If I can't get this to work then I'll simply change the menu to always just show 'Relationships' so the user doesn't expect to see something they don't actually see.
Mark

Relationship to me - order of individuals 1 week 2 days ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> I'm going to have another go at swapping the individuals before calling the page

I've made this change in the code. It will be included in the next release.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Relationship to me - order of individuals 1 week 2 days ago #5

• Marky
Thanks Greg, much appreciated.

I did manage to get it to work. My first attempt just swapped the individuals but this broke when the page called itself. I obviously only needed to swap when calling the page the first time via the menu.
Mark

• Page: