Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 1 month 1 day ago #1

• rbader
  • rbader's Avatar Topic Author
I'm finally getting ready to upgrade to version 2.0. One reason for the delay so far has been that I'd been waiting for the new versions of the JustLight theme and Fancy Imagebar (thanks, Carmen!!!!), which I've now installed on a separate test site to familiarise myself with the changes. As part of this I'm trying to figure out how I can deal with some of my more unusual requirements. Which leads me to my question.

On my current v1.7.17 website www.ruthsfamilyhistory.org I have created an 'In Memoriam' menu item (using Vytux Menu), which is basically a link to the results of an advanced search for all instances of a custom fact. This provides a list of all Holocaust victims in my mother's family tree. I have used '1 FACT Holocaust' to categorise the relevant individuals and the same approach for other categorisations, eg '1 Fact Survivor'.

This search-based approach has worked well enough for me in version 1.7.17 (even if the heading of 'Advanced Search' at the top of the results hasn't been ideal).

However, as far as I can see, the advanced search results page in version 2.0 always displays the advanced search fields at the top of the page.

My question is two-fold:

- Is there a better approach in v2.0 to present all individuals with a custom fact, ie one that's not based on advanced search results?
- If I use the same approach as before, how would I hide the advanced search fields at the top in the results?

Thank you very much in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rbader.

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 1 month 11 hours ago #2

• rbader
(I may have asked this question in the wrong section, ie it may belong under customising?)

In experimenting with this since yesterday, I have found that modifying the search results URL (by removing search fields) to

.../test/index.php?route=%2Ftest%2Ftree%2Fedith%2Fsearch-advanced&fields%5BFACT%5D=Holocaust

gets me much closer to the simplified results page I would be happy with (see attachment) because it removes most of the search fields at the top . However, this still displays the 'Father' and 'Mother' field names. I wonder if there is anything I can do about that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated but I realise this is probably too unusual a requirement for anyone to focus on...
Attachments:

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 1 month 6 hours ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
You want to hide the mother/father name fields every time you use the "advanced-search", or only when you use it from your menu...
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 1 month 3 hours ago #4

• rbader
Thank you, Greg. I'd be happy to go with whichever you consider the easier/more appropriate option. So if it's more straightforward to apply a global change, then I'd be happy to follow your guidance on that. If it's easier to apply to just the one menu item, then I'd be grateful for advice on that.

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 1 month 3 hours ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
You can hide parts of the advanced-search form easily using CSS.

If you look at the HTML of the page, you will see that the form has a class "wt-page-options-search-advanced", so we can easily identify it.

The fom contains rows. The last row is the "search" button. So you want to hide the preceding 6 rows.

In the control panel, enable the module "CSS and JS", and add the following CSS
<style>
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(2),
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(3),
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(4),
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(5),
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(6),
form.wt-page-options-search-advanced > :nth-last-child(7)
{ display: none; }
</style>
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Best way to display search results without advanced search fields at the top 4 weeks 1 day ago #6

• rbader
Thank you, Greg. That works. I think over time I'll try to familiarise myself with how custom reports work. Maybe that would be an alternative to displaying the information via the search results.

Thanks again.

• Page: