Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 5 days ago #1

• Donna-15
  • Donna-15's Avatar Topic Author
I am making my genealogy research localy in a program on my computer. Now I have to update my tree on webtrees. I understand that I have to upload the new complete gedcom-file.
In the local exported gedcom-file FILE looks like this "3 FILE Bouppteckningar-Jonas Gudmunsson (1718-1766)-Lysings-häradsrätt-E-FII-7-1766-1770-Bild-104-Sida-199 (1).jpg"
In Webtrres I have folders data/media/Bouppteckninar/Jonas Gudmunsson (1718-1766)/ and here the jpg-file.
Will this work?
I have manually created the media in webtrees, many hundreds and don't want to do it again.
Shall I mark "Keep media objects" and "Remove the GEDCOM media path from filenames" before importing.
OR
can I create a new tree with another name and it will use the already created media in the catalogues?
Then I can delete or disable the old tree.
I don't want it to be wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 5 days ago #2

• hermann
Why do you use folders and subfolders in webtrees and do not use them on your local system? This makes it complicated to keep them synchronous. I suggest keeping it simple, maybe to have all the media files in only one folder as you have it locally. I can't see a possibility to have both approaches at the same time. Maybe you can use an external GEDCOM or text editor and replace all "-" in filenames by "/" before importing the changed file to webtrees. But this handling has many possibilities to make failures and therefore I do not recommend this.

It should be possible to simplify your folder structure in webtrees by copying all files from the subfolders to data/media and to do some search/replace operations on the filenames in the media objects.

And yes, you can import your updated GEDCOM file to a new tree and have the old and new for some time side by side until you are sure that everything is still ok.
webtrees 2.0.16 (all available custom modules installed, php 7.4.15, MySQL 5.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/
and webtrees 1.7.18 (many custom modules) @ ahnen1.hartenthaler.eu/

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 5 days ago #3

• Donna-15
Thankyou for answer.
I have the same structure on my local computer as in Webtrees.
E.g as above media/Bouppteckninar/Jonas Gudmunsson (1718-1766)/Lysings-häradsrätt-E-FII-7-1766-1770-Bild-104-Sida-199 (1).jpg.
I will star with creating a new tree.

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 5 days ago #4

• hermann
hmmm... How can this work when you have "3 FILE Bouppteckningar-Jonas Gudmunsson (1718-1766)-Lysings-häradsrätt-E-FII-7-1766-1770-Bild-104-Sida-199 (1).jpg" as a filename? I would expect "3 FILE Bouppteckningar/Jonas Gudmunsson (1718-1766)/Lysings-häradsrätt-E-FII-7-1766-1770-Bild-104-Sida-199 (1).jpg"?
webtrees 2.0.16 (all available custom modules installed, php 7.4.15, MySQL 5.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu/
and webtrees 1.7.18 (many custom modules) @ ahnen1.hartenthaler.eu/

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 4 days ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes - you can use the same folder structure on webtrees as on your local computer.

Your FTP software should be able to copy all the files and folders.

> Shall I mark "Keep media objects"

NO

> "Remove the GEDCOM media path from filenames" before importing.

No. You would use this option if your GEDCOM file contains an absolute path, such as "C:\Users\Documents\Bouppteckninar\..."
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Uploading a new gedcom 1 week 2 days ago #6

• Donna-15
You are quite right. My local software is able to export two different version. One with the full pathname and the other with only the filename. I discovered that recently. Thankyou for your help. I am beginning to see the advantage of having no subfolders and having all media files in media.

• Page: