Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

OpenStreetMap - Initial Zoom Level 2 weeks 3 days ago #1

• Marky
  • Marky's Avatar Topic Author
Is there any way to set the initial zoom level for a place, in particular when that place isn't very specific e.g. when only country or region/state/county is known?

I can see that when several places are shown the zoom level is set to allow all places to initially be seen so I'm guessing that the level is set to the maximum possible without any places being lost from view.

An example - I have an individual with only one event (and place) recorded. They were born somewhere in Wisconsin, US. On the Places tab the zoom level is set to maximum and this is what I see:

I have to zoom-out to see a more meaningful map:

Something like this second image is what I would initially want to see.

Thanks
Mark
webtrees v2.0.16
PHP v7.3.27
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OpenStreetMap - Initial Zoom Level 2 weeks 2 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
webtrees shows a map that contains the place - plus all its neighbours and its parent

So, I would expect a map containing all the states of the US - i.e. so that you can identify wisconsin within its parent and relative to its siblings.

You don't give a URL to your site, so I guess that you don't have co-ordinates for any other states or for the US itself?

If there are no neighbours to allow us to choose a zoom/scale, one is chosen according to the "level".

Top level (e.g. countries) get a 5 degree square.
Second level (e.g. states) get a 1 degree square
Third level (e.g. cities) get a 0.2 degree square.

So, guessing about your data, I might expect a map covering a 1 degree square - about 100km.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

OpenStreetMap - Initial Zoom Level 2 weeks 23 hours ago #3

• Marky
  • Marky's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for the info. It's always good to learn a bit more abount how things work.

I do have co-ordinates for the U.S. and the other states so this isn't the issue.

Digging a little further, it appears that when there is only one marker to display, or all markers are in the same place (same co-ordinates), then the map will always initially zoom-in to its maximum.

I've looked at other websites (via the gallery/showcase) and where maps are used and where an individual has only one place to show then the same behaviour occurs.

This only happens on the places tab on the page of an individual, when viewing in the place hierarchy everything seems fine.

Thanks
Mark
webtrees v2.0.16
PHP v7.3.27

• Page: