Web based family history software

Question Footers in Reports

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #1 by StuartG
Footers in Reports was created by StuartG
I have noted, using the demo site, that there is now no footer on each page of a PDF report. The footer on the HTML report has "Generated by webtrees 2.0.16". In addition, the PDF Document Properties has the Author as "webtrees 2.0.16".

I would like the "Family tree title" as the footer on HTML reports. I am not objecting to webtrees being there. Perhaps the Family tree title could be a line above.

I consider that the Family tree title should be used in the Author field in PDF documents. It should also be included as a footer on each page.

I am not objecting to webtrees being shown as the Application generating the PDF file.

Consideration of this request would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Footers in Reports
> there is now no footer on each page of a PDF report.

Are you saying that there used to be footers in an earlier version, but not in the latest version?
Do you know the version where they stopped?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #3 by StuartG
Replied by StuartG on topic Footers in Reports
I had not downloaded a PDF or HTML Report using v2 until recently and this is the reason I raised this issue. I have only been running v2 since April, and I have never used any version prior to v2.0.16. I now no longer have my old v1 installed to test. I have searched for a report that I downloaded from v1 but I have been unable to locate one. I am fairly confident that PDF footers were implemented in v1, but I cannot provide an explicit answer to your question. I'm sorry.

Thank you for considering my request.

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB

More
2 years 6 months ago #4 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic Footers in Reports
I have a webtrees v1.7.18 running, tested *some* of the PDF reports and none of them has the family tree title in its header or footer. Which specific report are you referring to?

Nevertheless that would be nice to have.

Peter

More
2 years 6 months ago #5 by drblam
Replied by drblam on topic Footers in Reports
Take a look at the Descendants report.

Currently, on my system running 2.0.16, the Header contains a left-justifed title that says only "Descendants", and the Footer only shows a page number "1/1" on the bottom right corner. Both Header and Footer are separated from the body of the report by a full width horizontal line.

I have several saved copies of Descendants report on my laptop, that were generated years ago. Neither includes the horizontal separator lines. Here are two examples:

1) Header contains both a centered title: "Descendants of Joseph Hackett" and below it a right justified page number: "Page 1 of 19". Footer shows title: "Generated by webtrees 1.7.9" in center, and below it a right-justified date: "May 26, 2018"

2) Header contains both a centered title: "Descendants of Myiel Pierce Sr" and below it a right justified page number: "Page 1 of 6". Footer shows title: "Generated by webtrees 1.7.13" in center, and below it a right-justified date: "May 12, 2020"

More
2 years 6 months ago #6 by Sir Peter
Replied by Sir Peter on topic Footers in Reports

1) Header contains both a centered title: "Descendants of Joseph Hackett" and below it a right justified page number: "Page 1 of 19". Footer shows title: "Generated by webtrees 1.7.9" in center, and below it a right-justified date: "May 26, 2018"
2) Header contains both a centered title: "Descendants of Myiel Pierce Sr" and below it a right justified page number: "Page 1 of 6". Footer shows title: "Generated by webtrees 1.7.13" in center, and below it a right-justified date: "May 12, 2020"

I can confirm the exact same behaviour for this specific report by webtrees 1.7.18 which makes me believe that there never was a family tree title in its header or footer, but other reports might have had a different history.

Peter

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #7 by StuartG

Take a look at the Descendants report.

Thank you for making the effort to find your files. Your assistance is appreciated.

My request above was asking to include the "Family tree title" as the author of PDF files and shown as a footer on both HTML and PDF reports. A webtrees footer such as "Generated by webtrees xxxxx" could be included if that is considered desirable. Ideally the "Family tree title" footer should provide a link to the relevant webtrees site.

I'm sorry if I may have created confusion with my original post. As far as I am aware, @Peter is correct:

>that there never was a family tree title in its header or footer

In essence, my request is; could it be included please?

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago #8 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Footers in Reports
StuartG asked:

In essence, my request is; could it be included please?

I would agree that reports need some work and the ability to add a footer indicating the source of the report would be great. I also believe a complete overhaul of the report system has been in the queue for some time. My hope is that we don't try to enhance the current reporting system and rather hope that the overhaul will come in a near future release!

Now that being said if the code is a quick thing then by all means add the relevant footer code.

Just my thoughts on the matter!

Ken

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #9 by StuartG

I would agree that reports need some work and the ability to add a footer indicating the source of the report would be great. I also believe a complete overhaul of the report system has been in the queue for some time. My hope is that we don't try to enhance the current reporting system and rather hope that the overhaul will come in a near future release!

After a superficial look at how some other reports are produced and presented I agree with @Ken. I have now disabled the Reports Menu for visitors.

I have never paid much attention to the reports. I have never looked at the Reports menu on v2 until recently. I should have looked more closley before making my initial post.

In closing, my view of including the "Family tree title" in the footer for all reports is essential. This footer should also provide a clickable link. The contents of reports have come from the applicable web site and not from webtrees. Visitors who have previously downloaded reports can then easily find their way back to the relevant site.

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB