Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lists / Families - None 1 week 2 days ago #21

• Sir Peter
The "Rufname" - as a noun it is written in German with a capital R - can have or had several meanings, see de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufname where the most common one is probably de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufname_(Deutschland) and often underlined in documents. This is different from a nickname which in German would be the "Spitzname" .

Example: Table-tennis player Boris Frank Becker with his well-known "Rufname" Boris and his "Spitzname" (nickname) Bobele. webtrees and many other genealogy programs will accept

1 NAME Boris* Frank /Becker/
2 SURN Becker
2 GIVN Boris* Frank
2 NICK Bobele

and underline the Boris part, but the asterix (*) is not Gedcom compliant and many genealogists will recommend to avoid this. You can give it a try and see whether you like it or not.
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lists / Families - None 1 week 2 days ago #22

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sir Peter said:

This is different from a nickname which in German would be the "Spitzname" .

How is it different? I understand it to be a “call name”. If it is a name that is part of his birth name, then I understand. I have a lot of family members that were all given the first name of Ludvig, but almost all of then go by a second “given name” from birth! We call this a “preferred” name in webtrees.

Then I would definitely use “aka” and I would definitely use the asterisk after that preferred name. An asterisk after this name will underline the name on the display. I was trained by a genealogist in Norway in the early 1980s and the asterisk is the preferred way to denote this concept! Since underlining in straight text is not possible!
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

Lists / Families - None 1 week 2 days ago #23

• Sir Peter
In Germany the "Rufname" is one of several official first names (yes, by birth) which is/was often underlined in official documents, e. g. a birth, death or marriage register. The "Spitzname" is NOT an official name, e. g. the famous Formula One driver Andreas Nikolaus Lauda was called Niki. Another common example would be the nickname Billy derived from William. Some genealogy programs will accept

1 NAME Andreas Nikolaus "Niki" /Lauda/
2 SURN Lauda
2 GIVN Andreas Nikolaus

which would be equal to

1 NAME Andreas Nikolaus /Lauda/
2 SURN Lauda
2 GIVN Andreas Nikolaus
2 NICK Niki
Peter

• Page: