Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GEDCOM 7.0 1 week 5 days ago #21

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland

I therefore reject their use in transmissions between applications!

That is merely an opinion...
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GEDCOM 7.0 1 week 5 days ago #22

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bertkoor:

norwegian_sardines wrote:
I therefore reject their use in transmissions between applications!

That is merely an opinion...

Yes, but go ask the people at BetterGEDCOM about the reason they were started, look at all the board posts on any genealogy program and count the number of issue revolving around unknown GEDCOM tags and lost data. Count the number of issues opened here and the number of hours spent by development trying to resolve the issues with transferred “user defined extensions”.

Yes this is my opinion, but after working with GEDCOM for over 40 years, writing several interfaces, owning and using probably a dozen genealogy programs, working professionally writing code to interface multiple business applications, my experience tells me that this concept is not a good one and should be avoided when transmitting data to other genealogy programs.

GEDCOM says the following:

Standard structures take priority over extensions. Data contained in extension tags will not be interpreted by other systems correctly unless the other system supports that particular extension

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.
  • Page: