I am not sure what happened. The following GEDCOM had been imported:
0 @I214@ INDI
1 NAME 03-Place Exhibit /Place/
1 SEX M
2 DATE 1900
2 PLAC Philadelphia, PA
3 OBJE @O214@
and then the vesta module added the _LOC link.
The OBJE also exists and can be looked at, but there was no link or mention of it in the INDI page except on the album tab. (I expected it somewhere in the BIRT box.)
I removed the _LOC link, but no change. Did a refresh, and most of the tabs disappeared, leaving only source (empty), notes (empty), and album. This looks like some sort of corruption in the database or the code, even though all I did was delete a _LOC link.
The place name was still a a link to the 0 _LOC record, even though there was no longer a link to it in the raw GEDCOM.
Delete the PLAC, save, refresh, add instead a PLAC of "Tycho, Mars", save, refresh did not change it.
I deleted the vesta modules from the web server and refreshed the page. Not fixed.
Restored the vesta modules: no change.
Re-imported the original GEDCOM file (without the Vesta data fixes and no _LOC records or links). Still shows the same tabs missing.
Checked other INDIs in the test suite, that had never been edited. Still shows the same tabs missing.
Switched to my original tree, that was last changed before even finding this test suite. Also shows the same tabs missing.
Viewed the generated HTML, and the facts and families tabs do seem to be completely gone.
How can removing a level 3 line from raw GEDCOM do this much damage? Seems like some of the PHP has actually changed!
I fixed it by restoring a backup that was 25 hours old.
But if I had no recent backups, would this have worked?
1. Save the media directory and the GEDCOM file that was exported a couple of days ago to a different location.
2 Also save the Wordpress blog that is in a subdirectory.
3. Delete everything from the entire website and delete the webtrees database. (But not the Wordpress database)
4. Download a fresh copy of webtrees and allow it to create a new database.
5. Put the media and wordpress subduers back where they were.
6. Create a new tree with the same name as before.
7. import the saved GEDCOM.
8. Manually restore the preferences
9. Check for proper operation
10. reinstall the Vesta modules.
I do not understand this step - The shared places module does not automatically alter the data. Apparently you used a data fix for this step?
In any case the error was likely caused by something else. Have you checked for error messages in the browser?
It will be almost impossible to find out what was going on, unless you can reproduce the error.
I do not understand this step - The shared places module does not automatically alter the data. Apparently you used a data fix for this step?.
Not automatically. I clicked continue, but the module did the changes. The test was related to shared places, which was why I clicked continue. Only afterward did I notice that the test was using _PLAC instead of _LOC which is why I removed the _LOC link. Can't understand how a manual edit to raw GEDCOM would make a PHP file stop generating the facts and families tabs, but that was the only change made between their presence and absence.
The part that apparently triggered the error was at the beginning of may post. The Vesta fix added "3 _LOC @…@" after the PLAC and before the OBJE. The tabs were there when I selected "edit raw GEDCOM" and removed that line. When I clicked "Save," the tabs were gone. All the other changes were in a futile attempt to get them back. Except of course, the restore was not futile. I didn't lose any of my real data, nor even any of the test data. It's a very long test, and webtrees supports (so far) al of the standard features and most of the non-standard (items the author felt were worth checking for because of how often some programs had added them.
There is a backup, but I don't want to unpack it to investigate further. It's not something that's likely to happen again. I have a local copy, but I don't remember whether I updated it after the restore.