Before asking for help please read "Requesting Help and Suggestions" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC:

Manage media-deleting badly named unused file failed for unknown reasons[Solved] 2 weeks 5 days ago #1

  • RBaker
  • RBaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 17
EDIT 9 Jan, 2022: I believe there is something that did this at server level and Not Webtrees

This is not a problem for me, just a report that there is the possibility of hanging the Manage media, delete unused file feature with a badly named file. If it happened to me it can happen to others.

Using Webtrees 2.0.17
While using "Manage media" and trying to delete an unused file named
Karen Ferrari, John Young, John Ferrari and Ruthie Young (i (BC067A082EFF4B99A387D90FC9620DE3).jpg
from the /data/media/ directory on the server, after answering "yes" (for whatever the question was to make sure I wanted to delete) the screen did not show the file deleted and the screen did not refresh and show the other files that should have been reported as unused after the attempt to delete.

I tried logging off and clearing the cache, then logging back in. That did not work. After verifying the MySQL database was ok by using tools in CPanel, I then installed my backup that consisted of the Webtrees program and media (not the SQL database!), and tried Manage media, delete, on that file again. It hung the Manage media, delete screen for a second time. I installed the backup again and then looked closely at the file names of the "Manage media" unused files and saw the oddly named file. I then manually deleted the badly named file from the server and then could see and delete the other unused files using Manage media, delete unused files.

The file acquired that name by being named wrongly, uploaded to Ancestry, being downloaded from ancestry into the rootsmagic program and then exported with the GEDCOM out of rootsmagic and then imported into Webtrees. I have been cleaning up the Webtrees install the last two months, this is the first time a file hung the Manage media delete function. I have seen many poorly named files that took the same route into my Webtrees installation.

The interesting part of this is that the problem seems to remain in the Webtrees system between logins and only went away after I installed the Webtrees program and media backup. I did not install the MySQL database backup because the CPanel tools said there were no errors. End of report, take it for what it is worth, a badly named file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RBaker.

Manage media - deleting a poorly named unused file failed and hangs 2 weeks 3 days ago #2

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 15173
Works OK for me, and I can't see how a simple (no special characters) filename would create this issue.




> the screen did not show the file deleted and the screen did not refresh and show the other files that should have been reported as unused after the attempt to delete.


Could there have been a file-permission issue that prevented PHP from deleting it?
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Manage media-deleting badly named unused file failed for unknown reasons[Solved] 2 weeks 3 days ago #3

  • RBaker
  • RBaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 17


Could there have been a file-permission issue that prevented PHP from deleting it?

Thanks for looking at it :) I believe there is something that did this at server level and Not Webtrees

I just looked at the server, here is what I know.
All 7000+ files in the data/media/ directory are 0755 permission and the CPanel file manager deleted that file as expected.

At the time, the only error I received on screen besides what I already mentioned was a popup from the browser with a timeout 524 error (Cloudflare specific) after the waiting time was exceeded. I was looking at the developer window in the Chromium Browser and it showed the timeout in red when it happened, this was after I had reinstalled the back up. I did not wait long enough for the popup to appear when it originally happened.

So now I looked at my hosting providor a bit - Crazy Domains (Dreamscape)
It looks like the SQL software was changed from MySQL to MariaDB since I installed the Webtrees on 11-24-2021, they updated CPanel in December also, and took away some options.
I can no longer choose the version of MySQL on CPanel (If I ever could). As long as it works, I guess.

I was mistaken, it has always been MariaDB.

FWIW, I do have that complete Webtrees install and SQL database backed up on the server and can provide running information. Also, after looking at the changes on the server, the whole thing may be some local issue and not Webtrees specific.

My setup is Webtrees 2.0.17 on shared hosting at Crazy Domains (Dreamscape), the SSL is provided for free by Cloudflare (there is none available at Crazy Domains on the shared hosting packages). I was amazed that Cloudflare offered it free, it was tricky to get it working.

My Webtrees is at ibm-pc.org/family PHP Version- 7.4.26 MariaDB Server- 10.3.32-MariaDB-log-cll-lve

Probably nothing helpful in my reply :)
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RBaker.
  • Page:
  • 1
Powered by Kunena Forum