Web based family history software

Question Thumbnails and GEDCOM media path

More
11 years 1 week ago #21 by sonoptikon
Replied by sonoptikon on topic Thumbnails and GEDCOM media path
I think a crucial problem is Windows, I mean "/" and "\"
I see that I have C:/Users/kairos/...

But when I insert a new picture it gets the path: C:\Users\kairos\...

I changed now in GEDCOM Media Path all "/" to "\", now in Multimedia there are no paths any more, and the pictures are without "/".
I will see. When next pictures come I will see if it works.

Werner

Windows 7 32-bit, webtrees 1.4.1, PHP 5.0 (Provider for webtrees is 1&1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #22 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Thumbnails and GEDCOM media path

But when I insert a new picture it gets the path: C:\Users\kairos\...

How do you insert this new picture?

When you add a new picture using webtrees, it does not have a path.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
11 years 1 week ago #23 by sonoptikon
You know, I use AGES on my computer, and sometimes I upload it to webtrees. I have used webtrees until now as a Presentation platform. Working on my computer with AGES is much for fast, and independent from Internet.

I can give every person one or more pictures, and webtrees shows them in the same row as AGES does. But the path management must be correct. Before 1.4. I did not care about the path at all. In my AGES the path must be correct that it finds th picture, but webtrees did not care, I think it just took onle the basename and found the picture.

When I add a picture to the person, it gets a path, and after uploading the path must be destracted by webtrees. And I think, when I use "/" in webtrees, and WIndows uses "\", the path cannot be distracted correctly.

I changed this, and now I will see.

Werner

More
11 years 1 week ago #24 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Thumbnails and GEDCOM media path

but webtrees did not care, I think it just took onle the basename and found the picture.

The processing for this was *very* slow. If you had many thousands of pictures, it could not be used.

This is why we changed to a more "precise" system.

To find a file on disk, we can now look in just one location.
Code:
webtrees_installation_folder + webtrees_data_folder + media_folder + media_path

The webtrees_data_folder is "data/" by default, but you can change it to anything.

The media_folder is "media/" by default, but you can change it to anything.

The media path is just the filename (with optional subfolders).

When I add a picture to the person, it gets a path, and after uploading the path must be destracted by webtrees

I still do not know what you mean by "it gets a path". When you upload a picture, it does not have a path (unless you add one yourself).

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
11 years 1 week ago #25 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Thumbnails and GEDCOM media path

sonoptikon wrote: When I add a picture to the person, it gets a path, and after uploading the path must be destracted by webtrees. And I think, when I use "/" in webtrees, and WIndows uses "\", the path cannot be distracted correctly.

Werner

What does this mean? When you upload a picture (better description would be a FILE) to webtrees (better description would be 'to a webtrees media folder') webtrees only knows what you tell it, and all you should be telling it is a file name, which it should have automatically entered from your browsing to locate the file on its path on your local machine. That local path is not uploaded, but rather only the file name is associated with the file itself. In almost all cases, unless you are trying to add the file to a particular, special folder, the image will be added directly to your media folder at the top level (/data/media/) in most cases and then appear as simply YOURPICTUREFILE.JPG. It will have no 'path'.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 3 days ago #26 by sonoptikon

ToyGuy wrote:

sonoptikon wrote: When I add a picture to the person, it gets a path, and after uploading the path must be destracted by webtrees. And I think, when I use "/" in webtrees, and WIndows uses "\", the path cannot be distracted correctly.

Werner

What does this mean? When you upload a picture (better description would be a FILE) to webtrees (better description would be 'to a webtrees media folder') webtrees only knows what you tell it, and all you should be telling it is a file name, which it should have automatically entered from your browsing to locate the file on its path on your local machine. That local path is not uploaded, but rather only the file name is associated with the file itself. In almost all cases, unless you are trying to add the file to a particular, special folder, the image will be added directly to your media folder at the top level (/data/media/) in most cases and then appear as simply YOURPICTUREFILE.JPG. It will have no 'path'.

Yes, and I think that I begin to understand what is the "mechanic" of uploading. I think my problem was the mixture of "/" and "\". AGES "understands" "/", but when I add a new FILE then it uses "\", so I have a mixture of "/" and "\", and when I use a path with "/" in webtrees, webtrees will find this path in my GEDCOM, but it will not find the same paths with "\". So now I care that my AGES uses always "\", and in my GEDCOM Media Path I use "\", too. I uploaded two new files to data/media, and it worked. there is only one little problem: Sometimes, when the file is too large (between 1 or 2 MB), webtrees does not make a thumb. Perhaps here should a warning or a message "Could not make thumb for file XXX".
But thats ok. When thumb is missing, I can make it by hand and uipload, normally may picture (files) are quite small and making thumb is no problem. So everything found a good end, I think.

And of course thanks to you and your patience, next problems will com and we will stay in communication

Werner

Last edit: 11 years 3 days ago by sonoptikon.