Web based family history software

Question separate family trees and 1 common database

• vezet
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #1 by vezet
Hello,
I have 2 sub-domains (Herman and Severein) , each with 1 familytree. I use 1 common Database Stamboom_DB. When I starts one family f.i. "herman" , the Homepage showed "Familytree Herman" and the "Familytree Severein (see attachment). Is there a possibility to avoid "Stamboom Herman" when the "Stamboom Severein" is open? Or do I have to create a database for each Familytree?

regards

vezet
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
10 years 11 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic separate family trees and 1 common database
I think so yes. If you have installed webtrees twice (for each subdomain) and they share one database, then it will act the same as if there's one installation with two trees. You can either use a second database, or specify a different table name prefix during installation, so they are truely seperated.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• vezet
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #3 by vezet
Hello Bert,
The trouble is that I haven't 2 famtrees but about 8. I like to use 1 database for the Geographic places.
I will try the pre-fix solution. By the way I'm the MacFamilytree from the Stamboomforum on the 20the of Feb 2013

thanks, regards

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 11 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic separate family trees and 1 common database
And none of these eight are related? If not, then you are using your site as more of a hosting platform and you should have individual installations. Of course if one of those has an extensive place_locations table, simply copy it to the other trees. If these trees are related, we now recommend combining the trees into one installation and using relationship privacy to keep out unwanted users from certain segments.

Maintaining eight trees is a chore and a half.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• db-inf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #5 by db-inf
Replied by db-inf on topic separate family trees and 1 common database
I myself keep 3 family trees, of which 2 (father side and mother side) are maintained by myself, the 3rd by my stepmother. My family is happpy with this, because it is a simple enough assurance that people they don't know can not view their private details. Better than a difficult explanation about how I manage their privacy with hidden settings and privacy restraints.

In version 1.3.2 I fooled around a bit on a backup of my site, and I noticed that a family tree that is not open to visitors, is also hidden from the list of family trees, even for logged-in users that are not a member of that particular tree. This could server your purpose well enough, even with 1 installation, 1 database and 1 table name prefix.

• vezet
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #6 by vezet
In the near future I like to combine those 8 fam trees. Due to problems with incompatibility (I guess) between MacFamilytree and webtrees, I have first to clean the gedcoms from CREA's. The next thing I understand is that the combining of the several trees gives some difficulties. So I have to think about this making of one big tree.

Regards and thanks for the hints.

vezet