Web based family history software

Important Error importing gedcom file

• antonioalfaro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #21 by antonioalfaro
Replied by antonioalfaro on topic Error importing gedcom file
Ok, I'll don't give up, it's now a matter of honor :-)

My hosting provider reply me that in 2-3 business day PHP will be upgraded, let's see if it's enough. Will continue...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #22 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Error importing gedcom file

bertkoor wrote: So it doesn't surprise me that the gedcom import stalls at exactly the same point. You only have to figure out where and why. I suspect there's a limit withholding a further import: script execution time, database size, maybe even transaction size. Only your hosting provider can aid you with lifting that limit, but first you have to know what limit it is. It should be mentioned in the logfiles of Apache.

Yes, I agree completely. Unfortunately simply upgrading PHP is NOT likely to fix anything as the obstruction is in the settings they apply and I expect they will remain the same.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by kiwi.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 10 months ago #23 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Error importing gedcom file
The first phase of the import works fine. The data is correctly split into chunks of 64KB and stored in the wt_gedcom_chunk table.

The problem occurs when reading these chunks of data, and creating the individual genealogy records.

There are error messages indicating truncated and empty records.

The DB server configuration/settings all look sane.

I think the next step would be to add some debug to the import.php script, to find out exactly what data is being read back from the database.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• antonioalfaro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #24 by antonioalfaro

bertkoor wrote: I suspect there's a limit withholding a further import: script execution time, database size, maybe even transaction size. Only your hosting provider can aid you with lifting that limit, but first you have to know what limit it is. It should be mentionned in the logfiles of Apache.

Now, when I'm trying to import again doesn't appear "invalid gedcom format", it's a progress, but finally only 600 individuals are incorporated to the database.

At "Apache error log" I can't see anything about this, it's seem that all has gone ok.

• antonioalfaro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #25 by antonioalfaro

fisharebest wrote: I think the next step would be to add some debug to the import.php script, to find out exactly what data is being read back from the database.

How to do this??

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 10 months ago #26 by fisharebest

How to do this??

How good are you PHP programming skills?

In the file import.php, around line 215 is this block of code
Code:
// Import all the records in this chunk of data foreach (preg_split('/\n+(?=0)/', $data->chunk_data) as $rec) { import_record($rec, $gedcom_id, false); } // Mark the chunk as imported WT_DB::prepare( "UPDATE `##gedcom_chunk` SET imported=TRUE WHERE gedcom_chunk_id=?" )->execute(array($data->gedcom_chunk_id));

Check that

1) $data->chunk_data contains blocks of approx 64KB of GEDCOM data - multiple/complete GEDCOM records.
2) $rec contains a single/complete GEDCOM record.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 10 months ago #27 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Error importing gedcom file
I think it obvious by now that you must have an unusual and perhaps grossly inferior host. Have you considered a less cumbersome solution - get a decent host? Perhaps one that specializes in webtrees if that is your focus?

Our support team is limited and we really don't have the time to devote to such a special situation and this must be as your issues are previously unreported with thousands of successful installations.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 10 months ago #28 by fisharebest
I'm kinda curious to know why exactly it is failing.

A process that reports "success" while losing data is disconcerting.

I'll don't give up, it's now a matter of honor :-)

@antonio - I may have some time on Thursday evening - unless you have discovered the problem before then.....

• antonioalfaro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #29 by antonioalfaro

ToyGuy wrote: I think it obvious by now that you must have an unusual and perhaps grossly inferior host. Have you considered a less cumbersome solution - get a decent host? Perhaps one that specializes in webtrees if that is your focus?

Our support team is limited and we really don't have the time to devote to such a special situation and this must be as your issues are previously unreported with thousands of successful installations.

Ok, I understand. Please, enjoy your thousands of successful installations, me and my inferior host are not going to bother anymore.