• Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: webtrees dont show scandinavian characters

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #1

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19
I have recently updated from phpgedview to webtrees latest version. Unfortunately the program does not show any scandinavian characters. In phpgedview they appeared correctly with the exact same gedcom file. I am new to wbtrees and cannot figure out where the problem is. Not even if the error is in webtrees, php or mysql. I suspect it is a question about configuration because webtrees itself displays the scandinavian characters whitch belongs to the translated program. Is there anyone who can giv me a hint where to start looking.
I run webtrees on linux debian. Mysql runs with innodb.
/jarvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #2

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12925
What exactly do you mean by "does not show any scandinavian characters"?

I guess that you are seeing strange/random characters instead of letters with diacritics.

This is a bug in PGV. It corrupted the data when it was written to the database - and then uncorrupted it when it was read back.

The migration copies the (corrupted) data from the database. See the FAQ wiki.webtrees.net/en/FAQ#Importing_data_from_PhpGedView

If this guess is wrong, and you have another problem, please provide more specific details (example, URL, etc.)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #3

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19

fisharebest wrote: What exactly do you mean by "does not show any scandinavian characters"?

I guess that you are seeing strange/random characters instead of letters with diacritics.

Yes webtrees shows irrelevant characters insted of the scandinavian.

This is a bug in PGV. It corrupted the data when it was written to the database - and then uncorrupted it when it was read back.

I dont think so. I have made the gedcom file with a text editor and saved it vith utf8 configuration.

The migration copies the (corrupted) data from the database. See the FAQ wiki.webtrees.net/en/FAQ#Importing_data_from_PhpGedView

If this guess is wrong, and you have another problem, please provide more specific details (example, URL, etc.)


The data is not imported from PGV so the problem is not there. My URL : http//:85.134.115.83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #4

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12925
Perhaps your GEDCOM file contains the wrong encoding in the header?

The "1 CHAR" entry in the file header must be the correct encoding of the file.

http//:85.134.115.83


Is there a webtrees installation here? I do not see it.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #5

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19

fisharebest wrote: Perhaps your GEDCOM file contains the wrong encoding in the header?

The "1 CHAR" entry in the file header must be the correct encoding of the file.


That is possibly the culprit. The gedcom file does not contain any CHAR line

http//:85.134.115.83


Is there a webtrees installation here? I do not see it.


There is a webtrees installation but I have shortened the name a bit. Write " 85.134.115.83/webtree " (no s at the end)
/jarvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jarvin.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #6

  • norwegian_sardines
  • norwegian_sardines's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Posts: 1575
I've never had a problem with "Scandinavian" characters on a GEDCOM import except if the characters are not encoded the same as the FILE CHAR tag.
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #7

  • bertkoor
  • bertkoor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
  • Posts: 1858
So your webtrees database is filled with data from a GEDCOM import?
Can you open this .GED file with notepad.exe (or any other plain text editor) and quote the first ten or so lines?
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #8

  • fisharebest
  • fisharebest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 12925

jarvin wrote: There is a webtrees installation but I have shortened the name a bit. Write " 85.134.115.83/webtree " (no s at the end)
/jarvin


The fact that all the problems are shown as "??" suggests very much that your data is encoded using UTF8, and that it is being interpreted as ASCII.

So, you probably need to edit the GEDCOM file using a text editor, and add a line so that instead of beginning with
0 HEAD

the file begins with
0 HEAD
1 CHAR UTF-8

Be very careful that your text editor does not try to be clever and change the encoding. e.g. avoid windows notepad.exe
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do you need a web hosting solution for your webtrees site?
If you prefer a host that specialises in webtrees, the following page lists some suppliers able to provide one for you: 

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #9

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19

fisharebest wrote:

jarvin wrote: There is a webtrees installation but I have shortened the name a bit. Write " 85.134.115.83/webtree " (no s at the end)
/jarvin


The fact that all the problems are shown as "??" suggests very much that your data is encoded using UTF8, and that it is being interpreted as ASCII.

So, you probably need to edit the GEDCOM file using a text editor, and add a line so that instead of beginning with
0 HEAD

the file begins with
0 HEAD
1 CHAR UTF-8

Be very careful that your text editor does not try to be clever and change the encoding. e.g. avoid windows notepad.exe


I changed the head and now the scandinavian characters shows correct. Thank you very much for fast help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #10

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19

bertkoor wrote: So your webtrees database is filled with data from a GEDCOM import?
Can you open this .GED file with notepad.exe (or any other plain text editor) and quote the first ten or so lines?


Thank you for answering. fisharebest already helped me and the program and gedcom file now is functioning perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

webtrees dont show scandinavian characters 6 years 11 months ago #11

  • jarvin
  • jarvin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New
  • New
  • Posts: 19

norwegian_sardines wrote: I've never had a problem with "Scandinavian" characters on a GEDCOM import except if the characters are not encoded the same as the FILE CHAR tag.


Thank you for answering. As you said the error was in the file header and when I corrected it then the program and gedcom file runs as they are intended.

/jarvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Powered by Kunena Forum