TOPIC: Splitting name into given name and surname fields

Splitting name into given name and surname fields 5 years 11 months ago #1

• jmccabe
I've just used the batch tool to update married names; worked beautifully and saved me loads of time!

I imported my tree from a PhpGedView site and, before that, from a GEDCOM file exported from Genes Reunited. I noticed that a lot of my individuals have names that haven't been split out into a Given Name and Surname. Does anyone know if there's a batch tool, or have a batch tool available, to do this?

I noticed that, if I edit the name manually, the box that pops up does this and pressing "Save" causes it to be saved but I have a few hundred to go through so...

Thanks
John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Splitting name into given name and surname fields 5 years 11 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
I noticed that a lot of my individuals have names that haven't been split out into a Given Name and Surname.

There is no need to add GIVN/SURN fields - unless you have some unusual name structures that are not being identified correcty.

webtrees (and other genealogy applications) will work just fine without them. They are only necessary for names that do not follow the standard "given names, surname" or "surname, given names" format.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Splitting name into given name and surname fields 5 years 11 months ago #3

• jmccabe
Thanks Greg. It's more of a consistency thing though; as I've moved across and started adding new people I've been using the Given/Surname fields so would like to have all the old ones look the same.

I've had a quick look at the plugins code so might knock another one up and see how it goes - it seems like most of the code is already there in the marriage update one and the opening of the name edit box so should be a simple matter of fitting it all together and tweaking it :-)

All the best
John