Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question CEME was supposed to be removed - still available

• Jackie
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 8 months ago #1 by Jackie
Hi,

6 months ago, Nigel said :

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/27-h...omplete-fields#31583

(ps - CEME is a deprecated tag and should not be used. I think in the next version, by default (only) it will no longer appear as an option to add new entries. Of course existing ones will still display and be editable, plus you can add it back from the admin screens if you must).

So why CEME is still available in the GUI of burial ? Or I missed the post where the decision to keep it appeared?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 8 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
The issues are webtrees broad capabilities. webtrees accommodates most deprecated tags for display and there are many programs that did not discontinue the use of CEME, rather keeping it more as a custom tag without converting all the internal references to _CEME. As a result, lots os imported GEDCOMs use the tag and it displays within the webtrees GUI. It was not removed from the core code entry because some users felt it should be there.

I agree that it's standard inclusion should not be within webtrees GUI, and I, like several others, have use a CSS hack to remove it from the GUI entry system unless it was already present in the data, then it displays. Suppose you could submit this more as an NFR rather than use of the current code.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• Jackie
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #3 by Jackie
Hi Stephen,

thanks for your response.

..I, like several others, have use a CSS hack to remove it from the GUI entry system unless it was already present in the data..

IMHO, it should be the contrary! Users who want to keep deprecated tags, should use a CSS hack to keep them in the GUI. I'll ask Greg to do the same as you did, on my site. But this is a nonsense.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Jackie.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic CEME was supposed to be removed - still available

IMHO, it should be the contrary! Users who want to keep deprecated tags, should use a CSS hack to keep them in the GUI.

I tend to agree with Jackie.

While I understand that some people do a lot of "round tripping" with webtrees, the best solution would be to convert any non standard fact/events into standard FACT or EVENt tags at import. Then export the GEDCOM as corrected. Some people will hate this but in the future webtrees when normalized will have to do this anyway.

This will cause (and force) people to understand the real problem and either not "round trip" or not move to the normalized product.

Obviously this will also cause some people to drop use of webtrees because they think they must "round trip". I for one export GEDCOM now so I can produce books and reports, but not to commercial software, since none support GEDCOM like webtrees. I know that a normal DB will allow me to use the native DB for reporting rather that my outside DB so I will need to make some changes in the future.

I realize too that this is a slippery slope as webtrees does have some custom tags of its own and we have talked about adding more for accession information, however, these can be either removed or kept on export with a parm if they become a hassle for round trippers.

Personally, I think that if we can build webtrees to support a majority of the needs of users without catering to individuals, getting away from "round tripping" and have a normal DB, the program will be better off.

Ken
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by norwegian_sardines.

More
10 years 8 months ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic CEME was supposed to be removed - still available

It was not removed from the core code entry because some users felt it should be there.

Indeed.

@Jackie, I have removed the default entry from your site - by commenting out line ~255 of the file includes/config_data.php

I've also submitted this change to SVN. In future versions, you will need to uncomment this line to enable the feature.

I realize too that this is a slippery slope as webtrees does have some custom tags of its own and we have talked about adding more for accession information, however, these can be either removed or kept on export with a parm if they become a hassle for round trippers.

Since we already have custom tags (e.g. _WT_OBJE_SORT) and nobody has complained that it causes problems for other applications, I think we can safely assume that other applications correctly ignore unrecognised custom tags. So I don't think an export option is needed.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net