This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

TOPIC: Update from 1.4.3 put into wrong dir on server

Update from 1.4.3 put into wrong dir on server 6 years 1 month ago #1

• gbon
Dear group,

Stupid me, using a new ftp-program (winscp) I put the update of webtrees in the data directory. Then, again stupid me, I tried to delete the update from data by hand, checking what was copied and deleting this.

Now, I ended up with a site that is trying to completely reinstall webtrees, using the setup.php . I checked the database and all sql seems to be intact (despite a foreign key creation error).

I've got a backup of the database-part, not of the files-part of webtrees.

What can I do to repair? Should I follow the setup.php and put in names exactly how they were? (db-name, user-name et cetera)

This is my site: www.bonbonbon.net/webtrees

Thanks in advance ! Gerrit Bon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Update from 1.4.3 put into wrong dir on server 6 years 1 month ago #2

• kiwi
  • Platinum
gbon wrote:
I've got a backup of the database-part, not of the files-part of webtrees.

I guess that is what is called a "learning experience" ! Presumably you WILL have a back-up of everything next time :-)

gbon wrote:
What can I do to repair? Should I follow the setup.php and put in names exactly how they were? (db-name, user-name et cetera)
Luckily, yes that is all you need to do.

But..... You don't say what version you are upgrading FROM. Hopefully from 1.4.2, or at worst 1.4.1, because it is IMPORTANT to update at every change. If that is correct, then webtrees is likely to have moved all your media items to the /data/media protected folder (that is now the default structure). So have you deleted all of those as well, and if so, do you have a backup of those?
If you are upgrading from something older, then the automatic relocation of media items will not have happened.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Update from 1.4.3 put into wrong dir on server 6 years 1 month ago #3

• gbon
Thanks for helping Nigel!

I updated from 1.4.1. And if media would be gone, there's a partly backup at my home-pc. I hope I can remember all credentials of the setup.

When I tried to do the setup.php again, it came back with an error while creating a foreign key constraint. Not sure wich fk. What happens if I try to create another superuser ? Will the db stay the same?

Gerrit.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by gbon.

Update from 1.4.3 put into wrong dir on server 6 years 1 month ago #4

• gbon
Congrats to webtrees! It survived this fools' stresstest and it works normal again!

First, An unexpected database error occurred.

SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1452 Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`bonbonbon_wt`.`wt_user_setting`, CONSTRAINT `wt_user_setting_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`user_id`) REFERENCES `wt_user` (`user_id`))

Then I reentered the setup with a completely different user and all of a sudden the website reappeared with no noticeable errors yet!

And now i'm gonna do where I should have started with: backup of the webtrees filesystem via ftp.

Thanks for helping! Gerrit.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by gbon. Reason: typo