This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with setup, please!

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #21

• ksusman
That's good information to have. This might be a dumb question, but I've already been going through and changing USA to United States. Should I also go back and change it to United States of America?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #22

• kiwi
  • Platinum
ksusman wrote:
That's good information to have. This might be a dumb question, but I've already been going through and changing USA to United States. Should I also go back and change it to United States of America?

Up to you, but think about the space required in charts etc...

Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Los Angeles, California, USA
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #23

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
I use "United States".

I note that wikipedia has a redirect from United_States_of_America to just United_States
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #24

• ksusman
Perfect. United States it is. Thanks again. You guys have been a huge help.

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #25

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
And, while Tamara does some great writings, and much of what she writes (less the dozen misspelling or grammatical errors in that article) is spot on, she starts the discussion with the caveat to which we all refer => the standard does a bad job of dictating conventions on this topic and gives no real guidelines, other than the comma separators.

USA is widely recognized and there are other United States, but again - the key is CONSISTENCY = one standard, defined by you and no one else, and do so in your FAQs.

Batch Update can change all these almost instantly for you - as it can help fix many of your other PLAC errors. Don't overlook this option to save time.

And I'm sorry, but her argument on using or not using "county", or other differentiators, is a weak argument unless you can guarantee that anyone using your data knows that you never, ever, leave off a place.
As an example, is "New York, United States (or USA)" correctly referring to the state, the county or the city? It requires an assumption by the reader, that it refers to the highest level of hierarchy, which she discusses is something to be avoided, but it could easily be some bad or lazy data entry and could have been intended to refer to New York, New York, New York, United States (the city). Without some designators, those simply reading the data as presented may never know. There are plenty of examples of the same configuration. Fortunately, our GM module allows you to configure the removal of prefixes and suffixes in the matching to existing CSV map files, so New York City, New York county, New York, USA can be easily matched to New York, New York, New York, United States

The general consensus is there is no definitive authority on the 'right' way to do it, but whatever way you do do it, should be consistent.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com, a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Help with setup, please! 6 years 3 weeks ago #26

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
Stephen's example of New York, USA and the question of city, state or county is exactly why the PLACe tag has a subordinate tag of FORMat. While GEDCOM discourages the use of this tag, I personally think that GEDCOM should be better off if people (and software) would automatically use TYPE and FORMat like tags more often. All EVENt/FACT like tags (BIRT, DEAT, ADOP, etc) have, or could have a TYPE.

Until PLAC gets a universally understood and used "place name authority" the only standard is the one you enforce for the set of places you use.
Ken
  • Page: