This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: new install problems

new install problems 5 years 6 months ago #21

• wkitty42
  • Junior
fisharebest wrote:
It is not InnoDB that is slow.

It is the fact that it is configured to flush every transaction to disk (for ACID compliance). Hence every insert/update requires you to wait for your spinning rust to complete another rotation.
yes... that can be a problem at times... it can also be a lifesaver... i've had to code specific flushes in some of my pascal programs in order to catch everything going on before it crashes so that i could see the reason for the crash... they definitely slowed the operation down...

fisharebest wrote:
If you don't need ACID compliance (MyISAM is not ACID compliant), then simply change the "flush" parameter I mentioned earlier and restart MySQL. It will make a huge difference.
i will probably do this after the conversion is complete... it is at 92.6% right now... figure about 1.5 hours for the loss of connection earlier... i saw that one of my processes on the main server had stopped at 0107 and it was 0220 when i got up and came in to check on things... by 0230 everything was back up and running and a few minutes later i got it running again...

fisharebest wrote:
When it comes to using the system, then InnoDB is generally faster for read operations.
one big thing i've been looking for with PGV and now webtrees, is speed increases... i know that the PGV format of the data in the rows leaves a huge lot to be desired... that was one dance i really didn't want to join in years ago when we talked about optimizing things... at that point, if i had had the time, i would likely have just gone for a whole new application using the same concepts but with proper separation of the data parts into proper columns with proper indexing in place... if you guys can get everything separated out like it should be, that'll be a huge step forward... of course i don't know what you've done in the last 3 years since i just found out about webtrees...

FWIW: my ibdata1 file is at 125M at this point in time... compared to the myiasm MYI and MYD files of 68M... yes, i know there's "room to grow" in there :)

i am curious to see how it runs with the current settings configuration... PGV was finally pretty acceptable when i put i on this dual PIII 800mhz box... but throwing faster and faster hardware is not the answer to speed problems when proper optimizing would be a whole lot better... i'm always telling folks if they really want to test their databases and applications for performance, put them on an older slower machine and see how they go... make them run fast there with a default configuration and they'll be greased lightening on the newer stuff with a tuned configuration ;)
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.
webtrees 1.6.1 - self hosted - Private site - 24500+ Individuals - 8900+ Families
Dual PIII 800mhz 512M RAM
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by wkitty42.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

new install problems 5 years 6 months ago #22

• wkitty42
  • Junior
wowza... that took some time... near as i can figure i got it started about 18:00 and completed just now at 10:40...

[free thinking the math]
10pm to 10am (2200 to 1000) is 12 hours...
6pm to 10pm (1800 to 2200) is 4 hours...
16 hours (just short of the max time limit i had set) minus the 1.5 hours while the one server was down... ~14.5 hours and toss in the 40 minutes i knocked off for easy math... ~15 hours to convert... whew...

i'll definitely be playing with this some more...

FWIW: it would be nice if the wiki and other documentation told us that innodb would be being used, briefly talked about the negatives and positives of innodb as compared with myiasm as they relate to the speed of PGV and/or webtrees, pointed to the tuning article and told how to choose between innodb or myiasm before one gets started with the conversion... especially the part about turning off or ensuring that innodb flushing is deactivated... even more especially since there's no obvious way to abort the conversion once started... other than letting it timeout or such...

in any case, that conversion is complete now and i can move on to tromping thru the rest of the interface and admin controls :lol:

oh yeah, my ibdata1 file is now 133M in size... FWTW if anyone is comparing ;)
webtrees 1.6.1 - self hosted - Private site - 24500+ Individuals - 8900+ Families

new install problems 5 years 6 months ago #23

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
i guess i need to dig out the defaults somewhere and put them in the file

From the MySQL command line, type "SHOW VARIABLES;"
15 hours to convert
i honestly did not expect that innodb would be as slow as this

I'm guessing that you've allocated some of the machine's 512MB of RAM to the MyISAM engine, but none to the InnoDB engine.

With a little tweaking, I'm sure you can improve this by at least an order of magnitude.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

new install problems 5 years 6 months ago #24

• wkitty42
  • Junior
fisharebest wrote:
i guess i need to dig out the defaults somewhere and put them in the file

From the MySQL command line, type "SHOW VARIABLES;"
yep! that's one way... i just kinda prefer to have them all in the conf files with the defaults set... then when i make changes, i comment out the default and create a new entry with the setting as i want it along with a comment line containing the initials of who did it, the date it was done and the reason it was done ;)

fisharebest wrote:
15 hours to convert
i honestly did not expect that innodb would be as slow as this

I'm guessing that you've allocated some of the machine's 512MB of RAM to the MyISAM engine, but none to the InnoDB engine.
as i said previously... this is a default install of mysql on ubuntu server... see the "mysqld" code block below... AFAICT, there is no specific settings for myiasm over innodb or any of the other engines (which are all enabled except for FEDERATED)...

fisharebest wrote:
With a little tweaking, I'm sure you can improve this by at least an order of magnitude.
probably... gotta find out the defaults first... then figure out what the recommended tuning settings from the wiki page may lead to... speed at the sacrifice of safety may not be desirable... of course safety at the sacrifice of speed may not be desirable either ;) ;)

[mysqld]
#
# * Basic Settings
#

#
# * IMPORTANT
#   If you make changes to these settings and your system uses apparmor, you may
#   also need to also adjust /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld.
#

user            = mysql
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port            = 3306
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
skip-external-locking
#
# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
#wk42 - 20080918 - bind to all addresses so as can talk to the server from other machines on the LAN
#####bind-address               = 127.0.0.1
#
# * Fine Tuning
#
key_buffer              = 16M
#wk42 - 20130725 - tuning for webtrees from http://wiki.webtrees.net/en/MySQL_Configuration
# max_allowed_packet        = 16M
max_allowed_packet      = 32M
thread_stack            = 192K
thread_cache_size       = 8
# This replaces the startup script and checks MyISAM tables if needed
# the first time they are touched
myisam-recover         = BACKUP
#max_connections        = 100
#table_cache            = 64
#thread_concurrency     = 10
#
# * Query Cache Configuration
#
query_cache_limit       = 1M
query_cache_size        = 16M
#
# * Logging and Replication
#
# Both location gets rotated by the cronjob.
# Be aware that this log type is a performance killer.
# As of 5.1 you can enable the log at runtime!
#general_log_file        = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
#general_log             = 1

log_error                = /var/log/mysql/error.log

# Here you can see queries with especially long duration
#log_slow_queries       = /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log
#long_query_time = 2
#log-queries-not-using-indexes
#
# The following can be used as easy to replay backup logs or for replication.
# note: if you are setting up a replication slave, see README.Debian about
#       other settings you may need to change.
#server-id              = 1
#log_bin                        = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
expire_logs_days        = 10
max_binlog_size         = 100M
#binlog_do_db           = include_database_name
#binlog_ignore_db       = include_database_name
#
# * InnoDB
#
# InnoDB is enabled by default with a 10MB datafile in /var/lib/mysql/.
# Read the manual for more InnoDB related options. There are many!
#
# * Security Features
#
# Read the manual, too, if you want chroot!
# chroot = /var/lib/mysql/
#
# For generating SSL certificates I recommend the OpenSSL GUI "tinyca".
#
# ssl-ca=/etc/mysql/cacert.pem
# ssl-cert=/etc/mysql/server-cert.pem
# ssl-key=/etc/mysql/server-key.pem

new install problems 5 years 6 months ago #25

• wkitty42
  • Junior
wkitty42 wrote:
i ran into a problem at 75% (a task on the main server went haywire and locked up that box which caused the connection thru it to time out and be lost) so i've gone back now to look at some of the previous questions and try to provide some answers there...

fisharebest wrote:
Have you set either the SERVER_URL or LOGIN_URL parameters in the site config? (That's the wt_site_setting table, if you cannot log in to check!).
neither one of those two items is in the wt_site_setting table at this time...

fisharebest wrote:
What happens if you log on directly to the local machine?
i put the code back like it was previously and went directly to the server's
http://LAN_FQDN/webtrees
... it gave me a 302 and pointed me to
http://LAN_FQDN/webtrees/login.php?url=index.php%3F
and at this point the domain in the cookie has been set to the WAN_FQDN... putting in the user and password gives me the "You cannot login because your browser does not accept cookies." notice in red and places me back at
http://LAN_FQDN/webtrees/login.php
i figured out where the cookie domain setting is coming from... it is set in the .htaccess being used for PGV which also affects webtrees... i'm pretty sure that's why WT was saying that it couldn't set the cookie... it was looking for the LAN_FQDN in the cookie (before my session.php mod that enforces the WAN_FQDN)... still trying to figure out where "server_name" is coming from...

explanation: easiest to use the same (obvious) domain for both... PGV was in the root of the domain so i stuck webtrees in a folder there... understood that this would make it easier to use the PGV-to-WT conversion wizard... the idea is to later remove PGV and move webtrees out of the folder to the root of the domain... however, might go the other way and move PGV to its own folder and then have a selection page to choose which one to use... still contemplating all that...
  • Page: