Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.5.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question User Approval not responding

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #1 by sb
User Approval not responding was created by sb
I have just installed webtrees on my server and created a test user from the front end. However, the user approval in admin is not responding. The I select yes from the drop box then click save it revert to "no"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic User Approval not responding
Did you log out as an admin (perhaps in another tab, perhaps logging in again afterwards).

Try logging out completely, and logging in again.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #3 by sb
Replied by sb on topic User Approval not responding
I have gone the extra mile and restarted my computer. Still no luck

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #4 by sb
I believe that it may be related to permissions issues which have been a problem throughout the setup process. What are the relevant files and what permission should they have

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #5 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic User Approval not responding

sb wrote: I have just installed webtrees on my server and created a test user from the front end. However, the user approval in admin is not responding. The I select yes from the drop box then click save it revert to "no"

Hello sb,

The MySQL table is wt_user_setting

Setting name is:
verify_by_admin
Value for Yes is:

Value for No is:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Jackie.

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #6 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic User Approval not responding
Hi SB,

What browser are you using? On Windows, Mac, Linux or a tablet?
I encountered a simular issue in the webtrees Admin screens, but only with my BlackBerry Playbook tablet (webkit based browser)
There's something not quite right in the JavaScript on that page, but I can't put my finger on it.
I have to say I found it not irritating enough to delve deeper into it and inspect the events on such controls.
All other major browsers I tried so far (Chrome, IE) seem to work fine.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by bertkoor.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #7 by sb
I went into phpmyAdmin and had a look at the user tables.

Details relating to the test user can only be found in wt_USER there are no corresponding entry in wt_user_setting

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #8 by sb
Hi Bertkoor,

I am using firefox on a desktop

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago #9 by bertkoor
What version? Could you check with another browser?
Just to confirm it's related to the browser, we can use that info when filing a bug report.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #10 by sb
I am using firefox 29.0.1.

Tested in chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m and it works. So looks like you're right it was a browser issue

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago #11 by bertkoor
OK, thanks for the confirmation.
I filed this as a bug: bugs.launchpad.net/webtrees/+bug/1325935

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #12 by sb
Thanks. I hope they address it because I normally use firefox. I also noticed that the moderator reckon that the approve user is a checkbox. That's definitely not the case in both firebox and chrome.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #13 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic User Approval not responding
sb
There can be no doubt that, when using ADMIN to "create a new user", Greg is absolutely correct about the format of the approval options. You did say you are new, so it can be excused that you did not know that Greg is more than a moderator, but the chief architect and coder for virtually every change from PGV or new functions.

Here's the screen cap. If you had done as you said, and created a new user, I don't care which browser you were using, the options are checkboxes. It is only after a user is created that the process changes to inline options - a click inside, change and SAVE procedure, of which you are now describing as buggy.

This is the screen for management of an EXISTING user, not a "new user":

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by ToyGuy.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #14 by fisharebest
It is a checkbox when you create a new user, or a listbox when you edit an existing user.

But even so, all the yes/no listboxes work fine for me. I tried with Chrome/Firefox on linux/windows/mac/android.

[edit] oops - cross post with Stephen (and thanks for the screen caps)

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by fisharebest.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #15 by sb
Greg,

First I'd like to thank you for sharing such a great work to the world. I have been trialing a few options over the past few weeks and webtrees is definitely the best.

I started off build a family tree for my Australia wife using ancestory.com. Then I thought it would be good to add mine so I did a few search and found some birth,death and marriage records uploaded by a couple of Seychellios (Seychelles citizens) henri.maurel.pagesperso-orange.fr/pool&johnstone_d01.htm

The info from the website is very useful but researching it is very time consuming. So I thought that it would be a good idea to have a free site similar to the ancestory.com for my Seychellois friends to research their ancestory. Just to be clear I do not intend to create a paid site. Just a few for all and hopefully if enough people add their research to it, it will eventually be almost as good as ancestory but focusing on Seychelles.

It appears that this can be acheived with your application. Please let me know if there are any reservation that I should consider before doing any further trials.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #16 by sb
Hi ToyGuy,

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I got the manage existing user screen. That's the one which did not work in firefox. I registered a dummy account form the guest user interface and then logged in as administrator to approve the user of the dummy account

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 9 months ago #17 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic User Approval not responding
sb
Not necessarily wrong, if you intended to test the guest registration system, but what would not be normal procedure if you intend to manually add a new user. In that case, you would complete the Add a New User form in the User Admin section, as shown in the screen cap.

I've just tested the manage user Admin form (second screen cap, where you had landed) on Mac SnowLeopard (10.6) using Safari 5.10, the latest Chrome and on FF 29.0.1 and then again on Mac Mavericks and finally on iOS7 with Safari. I have no problem with any of the inline functions. All selected YES and SAVE, if I do so.

As to creating a free GENE tree website, webtrees can handle the workload if your server is adequately resourced (plenty of memory, good script times and fast processors with SQL optimized), but I am not sure you understand the legal ramifications involved with being responsible for all that private data, nor in the setup and management of a site that requires such a broad membership basis. To use webtrees properly, every user should be represented in the database so you can apply privacy restrictions and family tree limits. I'm sure you don't want, nor does Seychelles law likely allow your to offer up everyones birthdates, POB and other private information.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
9 years 9 months ago #18 by fisharebest
webtrees is currently used for a similar project. It records everyone who ever lived in a particular town - a database of 350,000 individuals.

To be sucessful, your site will need a small number of dedicated/enthusiastic individuals who can review all the contributions (e.g. making sure people don't put places in the date fields and vice versa, making sure they use source citations consistently, etc.).

I'd recommend one large tree, rather than a separate tree for each family. Finding duplicates and merging will be much easier. webtrees has a function called "relationship privacy", which should take care of the privacy issues.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #19 by sb
Hi ToyGuy,

Thanks mate, maybe there is some addon or something in my FF that's interfering but I am not going to look further since that I can approve the registered user with chrome.

Also thanks for your advise on creating a free GENE Tree. I have taken note of what you've said about privacy issue and I will definitely consult a local solicitor for advise on what can and can be displayed.

I have given a thought about server bandwidth, processing speed and other technical IT stuff. I don't think that this will be an issue at the start. My intention is to hand the site over to a not for profit group with interest in history or genealogy if it gets too big for me to manage. Such a group will also be able to have the funds to host the site on a more optimized server.

Anyway, right now its just another little project that I am trialing. It may grow up to become as big as Ben Hur or it may die before it starts crawling.

• sb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #20 by sb
Hi Greg,

That sounds great.

I like the idea of one single big tree. But at the start the tree will not have a lot of families so there will be unconnected branches, can webtree handle that. You may already have explained that in the wiki, if so just point me in the right direction.