Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question PHP mail or SMTP not working

More
9 years 2 months ago #61 by bukbr
Replied by bukbr on topic PHP mail or SMTP not working
Well, I just installed PHPGedView, for test purpose, created a new user and please, see below, using phpmail! It worked. So, now I'm sure, there's something wrong with webtrees.

====================
Your registration at www.bc.adm.br/genealogia/
phpgedview-noreply@bc.adm.br
Para eu Hoje em 9:32 PM
Hello Test Buchmann ...

A request was received at www.bc.adm.br/genealogia/ to create a PhpGedView account with your email address bukbr@yahoo.com.br. Information about the request is shown under the link below.

Please click on the following link and fill in the requested data to confirm your request and email address.

www.bc.adm.br/genealogia/login_register....b2&action=userverify
User name bukbr
Verification code: d30e5073a9a441fd0ca53fdb02f456b2

Comments: bla bla bla

If you didn't request an account, you can just delete this message. You won't get any more email from this site, because the account request will be deleted automatically after seven days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #62 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic PHP mail or SMTP not working
Hello Daniel,

I did not use phpGedView since 2010. So, I don't have any idea about its webmail system.

You will have to wait for Greg tomorrow. He is sleeping at this hour.. hummm I guess. ;-)

More
9 years 2 months ago #63 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic PHP mail or SMTP not working

bukbr wrote: Fisharebest, you mean to do this with my gmail or own domain?

You posted your gmail configuration. These two modifications are for that.

bukbr wrote: On sending server name, you mean, typing "bc.adm.br", for example?

Yes.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
9 years 2 months ago #64 by Jackie
Hello Daniel,

1- Your DNS (Domain Name Server) is pointing to the MX number (?) of your DNS server (dnsr1.hospedagem.net and/or dnsr2.hospedagem.net). Therefore, webtrees tries to use that path to send emails.

You told me that you use Google Apps - Mail server to manage all your emails. Therefore, your domain name must point to MX number of Google Apps.

I am not familiar with these Google Apps though a search on Google for help brought me to the following page. Sorry for the French, my web browser is set to it. :-|

Valeur des enregistrements MX pour Google Apps
support.google.com/a/answer/174125

Or you need to set the MX number of Google in your DNS
Or you need to tell Google Apps that www.bc.adm.br/genealogia/ exists.

I may be wrong, but at the moment I think Google Apps knows the existence of www.bc.adm.br/ but not the existence of www.bc.adm.br/genealogia/

More
9 years 2 months ago #65 by Jackie
Hello Daniel,

You may tell your webhost technical support to look at the following :

Configurer les enregistrements MX (procédure spécifique à l'hébergeur)
support.google.com/a/topic/1611273?hl=fr

More
9 years 1 month ago #66 by bukbr
Hello Jackie, there we go again! :-)

I did all changes by phone with my webhost support. You were sure, there was some mistakes.

But, after all, the problem persists, I tested, but without success smtp and phpmail.

So, I created a new mail: genealogia@bc.adm.br, the password will be sent for you by e-mail, for tests purposes, ok?

Thanks!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #67 by Jackie
Hello Daniel,

When I click on the link that you provided for your website, I get a phpGedView site. Would you please add the URL address of your webtrees site to your profile. That would help. Thank you.

EDIT: your phpGedView website sends emails. But what about your webtrees? That is the one we are interested in.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jackie.

More
9 years 1 month ago #68 by bukbr
Hi Jackie,

You're sure, I don't know what I did wrong, but, ok, there it is:

URL: www.bc.adm.br/genealogiabuchmann
login and passw to webtrees: you already have one.
E-mail: genealogia@bc.adm.br
passw: sent by mail for you
This e-mail and password is just for testing with Google Apps.

Is it OK now?

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #69 by Jackie

bukbr wrote: Hi Jackie,

Is it OK now?

Hello Daniel,

I have just tested the mail system of your webtrees site using the "Contact" link at the bottom of the Home page. I saw the message "email sent". Did you receive that email? I did not receive any copy of it.

Daniel, I don't understand what you are trying to do by creating me an email address?? What is that for? Do you really think that visitors of your webtrees site need an account on your Google Apps account?

I really don't understand what you are trying to do.

More
9 years 1 month ago #70 by Jackie
Hello Daniel,

I don't have any intention to use the new email that you sent me. I don't have any intention to test your Google Apps system. I don't know the function of Google Apps. So, please delete that account in your Google Apps.

More
9 years 1 month ago #71 by bukbr

Jackie wrote:

bukbr wrote: Hi Jackie,

Is it OK now?

Hello Daniel,

I have just tested the mail system of your webtrees site using the "Contact" link at the bottom of the Home page. I saw the message "email sent". Did you receive that email? I did not receive any copy of it.

Daniel, I don't understand what you are trying to do by creating me an email address?? What is that for? Do you really think that visitors of your webtrees site need an account on your Google Apps account?

I really don't understand what you are trying to do.

Jackie, communication, sometimes is a surprise box. I`ll answer your questions below:

1) Of course, I know visitors don`t need to create a Google Apps account. I would be an "non sense" thinking it! :-)
2) To create a temp e-mail for you: it was just for testing, because I understood the problem could be on my google apps config with my webhost. If you don't need it to make tests, ok, no problems, I'll delete it right now.
3) I still don't understand why only webtrees is not working with e-mails in my website... others are working great. It's really a mistery!

A new information for you: I remember a few months ago, it was working, till june/2014, I guess. I upgrade always when a new update is available.

Thanks.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #72 by bukbr

Jackie wrote: Hello Daniel,

I don't have any intention to use the new email that you sent me. I don't have any intention to test your Google Apps system. I don't know the function of Google Apps. So, please delete that account in your Google Apps.

Of course no, it was not my intention! It's done, deleted, as explained before.

Thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bukbr.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #73 by Jackie
Hello Daniel,

3) I still don't understand why only webtrees is not working with e-mails in my website... others are working great. It's really a mistery!

It is also a mystery for me.

To resume:
1- according to tests made with your webhost technical service, php mail works OK
2- according to a test I myself made, your phpGedView website can send email using php mail service. (Note that your PGV site did not use your Google Apps to send emails. It sent an email from the address phpgedview-noreply@bc.adm.br)
3- according to tests that we both made, your webtrees "contact link" does not work, whatever mail settings we made.

EDIT: Did you try to set a noreply@ email in
Administration -> Family trees -> your family tree -> General tab -> Contact information
webtrees reply address = noreply@yourdomainname

If my memory is good, you had your own email in that field.

More
9 years 1 month ago #74 by bukbr
Yes, I tried it before...

Attached how webtrees is configurated... also PHPgedview (working).

Note the config settings are the same, but phpgedview is working, webtrees don't.

For me is clear, there's a problem with webtrees code.

A solution could be a benchmarking with other codes or review webtrees about 1 year ago, when it was working too!

Thanks.
Attachments:

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 1 month ago #75 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic PHP mail or SMTP not working
First - it would be very wrong to 'benchmark' webtrees code against the horrific instruction set that comprised PGV.
Second - It works for virtually everyone else - both methods, so it is far more likely to be something in your configuration that conflicts with the correct operation - probably something simple - rather than something fundamentally wrong with webtrees. Anytime one attempts to analyze someone else's remotely hosted site it can be quite difficult.
Last - is the address you entered a valid one? webtrees-noreply@bc.adm.br

The following message could not be delivered because the address
webtrees-noreply@bc.adm.br was rejected by host bc.adm.br (74.125.21.27).

Most systems require you to use a valid address.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
9 years 1 month ago #76 by bukbr

ToyGuy wrote: First - it would be very wrong to 'benchmark' webtrees code against the horrific instruction set that comprised PGV.
Second - It works for virtually everyone else - both methods, so it is far more likely to be something in your configuration that conflicts with the correct operation - probably something simple - rather than something fundamentally wrong with webtrees. Anytime one attempts to analyze someone else's remotely hosted site it can be quite difficult.
Last - is the address you entered a valid one? webtrees-noreply@bc.adm.br

The following message could not be delivered because the address
webtrees-noreply@bc.adm.br was rejected by host bc.adm.br (74.125.21.27).

Most systems require you to use a valid address.

Hi, no it's not valid, like in PGV.

I tested with a valid too, none worked.

I did a lot of different tests, without success, if you had time, please, read previous replies.

Thanks

More
9 years 1 month ago #77 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic PHP mail or SMTP not working
I made a suggestion in #31. You have entered a name instead of an email address.

Google will (silently) ignore mail if the email address is not associated with your gmail account. This would explain why webtrees thinks the message was sent, but it never arrived (see #11).

Did you try correcting the settings, as per my suggestion. You never replied to me.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 1 month ago #78 by ToyGuy

bukbr wrote: I did a lot of different tests, without success, if you had time, please, read previous replies.

I take offense that you would infer that I have not followed your posts. Frankly, I think it far too much time on what is likely a misunderstanding of the needed configuration. If you wish me to take a look, please email me admin access credentials and I'll take a peek. Unfortunately, you are not self-hosting, or using a host that is webtrees optimized, and determining if that is a part of the problem will be difficult without substantial research.

More
9 years 1 month ago #79 by bukbr

ToyGuy wrote:

bukbr wrote: I did a lot of different tests, without success, if you had time, please, read previous replies.

I take offense that you would infer that I have not followed your posts. Frankly, I think it far too much time on what is likely a misunderstanding of the needed configuration. If you wish me to take a look, please email me admin access credentials and I'll take a peek. Unfortunately, you are not self-hosting, or using a host that is webtrees optimized, and determining if that is a part of the problem will be difficult without substantial research.

Oh, no, sorry, it was not my intention to offend you. I said that because the question about valid e-mails was overcome.

If you can, sign up to www.bc.adm.br/genealogiabuchmann and I'll set you as admin, could be?

Thanks.

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 1 month ago #80 by ToyGuy
Request submitted, Stephen