Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Solved Separate privacy for individuals?

• Joey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago #1 by Joey
When I am not logged in in my family tree, my wife's grandfather is showing up solely as shown in the attached file. The grandmother, however, does not show up. As I have learned webtrees privacy is generally dealt with in the administration panel, am I doing anything wrong?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Separate privacy for individuals?
If you are not logged in, then the default privacy rules are to hide living people/families and show dead people/families.

So, without much more info, we can't give a definitive answer, but a reasonable guess is that one grandparent is living and the other is dead.

Are you saying an individual is hidden when you expect them to be shown, or shown when you expect them to be hidden?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Joey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago #3 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Re: Separate privacy for individuals?
Oh yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that both individuals are dead and both have the exact date of death in their life details. Thus I would certainly expect the second person also to show up. Especially, because I cannot find having included any privacy rules in the administration outruling the display of that person. Please find my current privacy rules also attached hereto.
A second point that I wonder about in this context is how would I then be able to define a specific individual as a 'private individual' (or 'hidden individual')?
Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Separate privacy for individuals?
> A second point that I wonder about in this context is how would I then be able to define a specific individual as a 'private individual' (or 'hidden individual')?

Each record (individual, family, source, repository, media object) and each fact (birth, death, etc.) can have a "privacy restriction". This is a GEDCOM "RESN" tag. This takes precedence over everything else.

If there is no RESN, then webtrees uses the privacy rules and settings.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Joey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago #5 by Joey
Greg, thank you so much. I guess, I should rather delve into the RESN tag ;-)

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #6 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Re: Separate privacy for individuals?

Joey wrote: When I am not logged in in my family tree, my wife's grandfather is showing up solely as shown in the attached file. The grandmother, however, does not show up.

It's hard to say what's wrong without access to the full data, but what I see on this particular page is not what I would expect.

Here's an example of a person on my site that has deceised but with a wife that's still alive:
stamboom.bertkoor.nl/individual.php?pid=I1061&ged=BertKoor
In such a case it should show a "Family with
This message contains secure information

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by bertkoor.

• Joey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago #7 by Joey

bertkoor wrote:

Joey wrote: When I am not logged in in my family tree, my wife's grandfather is showing up solely as shown in the attached file. The grandmother, however, does not show up.

It's hard to say what's wrong without access to the full data, but what I see on this particular page is not what I would expect.

Here's an example of a person on my site that has deceised but with a wife that's still alive:
stamboom.bertkoor.nl/individual.php?pid=I1061&ged=BertKoor
In such a case it should show a "Family with
This message contains secure information

Bert, thank you for having a look into the matter. I guess I should follow Gregs clue re. the GEDCOM RESN tag later on today. It is quite obvious for me that in the prevailing case I do have an issue of converting GEDCOM data forth and back for different family tree programs over the years. I am greatful for having you guys here who are all old hands at genealogy issues ...