Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.0/1). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Administrator account(s) ?

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by mboucher
Administrator account(s) ? was created by mboucher
Any idea how to set up a 2nd admin account that can access user accounts for the purpose of editing, etc.
If I set up a new account, I only see control panel and family trees; no user or other configurable items.
Thanks

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7
www.mike-boucher.com/MikeFamilyFiles (version 2.1.18)
www.mike-boucher.com/BBunchwt (version 2.1.18)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Administrator account(s) ?
If you edit the user's settings, there is a "tick box" for administrator status.

I think you have given this new user "manager" status in one of the trees.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by mboucher
Replied by mboucher on topic Administrator account(s) ?
Thanks for replying, but that is not what is going on.
My primary admin account does not even have the admin box ticked. Whenever I move the mouse over it it has a red circle not allowing it to be clicked.
The 2nd account does have the admin button clicked and assigns manager privilege to the family trees as does my main admin account.
But only family trees may be admined by the 2nd account.
By changing to no admin button clicked and the Family tree status to visitor; then no access.

I have another old wt that allowed a 2nd admin, but later when I added a 3rd it does not have all the admin privileges.

Do you have any idea what is going on? In previous versions an admin was as admin.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Administrator account(s) ?
> My primary admin account does not even have the admin box ticked.

Uh? Then it is not an admin account.

> Whenever I move the mouse over it it has a red circle not allowing it to be clicked.

You cannot change your own "admin" status. Only another admin can do this.

I'm a bit confused about all your accounts. Can you be more precise about what accounts you have, and what permissions each of them has?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #5 by mboucher
OK Let's start over.
I start with one account; the primary one that created the whole web site.
I can log in with it and perform all the duties of an admin; adding family trees, adding and editing user accounts, modifying media, modules.
This account does not have administrator clicked.
With that said, I add another account with the admin button clicked on that account. After logging in with that new admin account, all I can modify is family trees.
No other menu options are available at the top of the page.
So no matter how many new accounts I add with admin clicked, they are NOT admins.

I hope this is clear.
Thanks

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7

More
8 years 7 months ago #6 by Sodan
Replied by Sodan on topic Administrator account(s) ?
I confirm what Michael says. The admin tick box seems to have no effect.

When I loggin with my admin account, it is unticked but disabled.
When I create a new admin, the new account doesn't have any admin menu.
When I loggin again with my admin account, the new admin is not listed as "Administrator" under the panel "Users" on the dashboard.

webtrees 2
nginx, PHP 7, MariaDB, HTTP/2
genealorand.com

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #7 by exxamalte
Replied by exxamalte on topic Administrator account(s) ?
It appears as if something's messed up with the admin flag or how it is evaluated.
In my webtrees instance's database table `wt_user_setting` the admin has a setting `canadmin` set to `1`. And this is apparently what `app/Auth.php#isAdmin` checks for. However, in `admin_users.php` when rendering the checkbox the code looks for a setting `admin`. And when you add a new user with the `Administrator` checkbox checked, this user ends up with a `admin` setting set to `1` in the database table, but no `canadmin` setting.
Looks as if the setting has been renamed at some point in time, but unfortunately not in all code instances.
I raised a new issue for this: github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/678

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #8 by mboucher
There may be some other issues as well. I note that it does not track last login; sometimes not noting the actual last time or for one user not at all.

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #9 by exxamalte

mboucher wrote: There may be some other issues as well. I note that it does not track last login; sometimes not noting the actual last time or for one user not at all.

A new timestamp is generated in each request, but the software does only update the "last logged in" timestamp in the database if at least 5 minutes have passed since the last update.
Other than that little constraint, I couldn't see anything suspicious in the code. And in my webtrees instance the timestamp appears to be updated correctly.

Could you maybe elaborate a bit further on your issue? Is there anything special about the affected user? Would you be able to take a look into the database table `wt_user_setting` and check if the user's `sessiontime` setting exists, and if it contain a timestamp (i.e a large number ~1439390000)?

More
8 years 7 months ago #10 by klemens
Replied by klemens on topic Administrator account(s) ?
I also have the problem that I can not enter as an admin myself and therefore have no way to access the management module. See appendix 2administrator.png and administrator.png. In the equipment and wt_user_gedcom_setting.png wt_user_setting.png you will see the server settings.
Have upgraded from version V1.6.2 of the upgrade wizard to V1.7.1.

Klemens Miehe
Hannover Germany
anverwandte.info
stammbaum.anverwandte.info
webtrees 2.1.18
PHP Version 8.2.9
Linux v12015021622323418 4.19.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.269-1 (2022-12-20) x86_64
Attachments:

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #11 by mboucher
I "solved" the problem by deleting the 1.71 install and installing a new version of 1.62.

My other webtrees install has been around for a couple of years and sucessfully upgraded to 1.71. I inherited the admin accounts and they work. After the dust settles on 1.71 perhaps I will upgrade the new install.

I suppose this might be a"fix", but my new install needs users, so I will wait.

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #12 by exxamalte

klemens wrote: I also have the problem that I can not enter as an admin myself and therefore have no way to access the management module. See appendix 2administrator.png and administrator.png. In the equipment and wt_user_gedcom_setting.png wt_user_setting.png you will see the server settings.

From the data you sent I would have assumed that your admin account should still have full admin power, i.e. you should have access to the control panel (the setting 'canadmin' is set to '1'). And we also already established that administrators cannot change their own admin status, hence the checkbox is disabled on your own user detail form.
Only newly created admin user accounts will not have the correct settings, and thus cannot access the control panel.

In the meantime I provided a fix for the issue I mentioned above ( github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/678 ), so I assume that fix will become part of the next webtrees release.

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #13 by exxamalte

mboucher wrote: I "solved" the problem by deleting the 1.71 install and installing a new version of 1.62.
I suppose this might be a"fix", but my new install needs users, so I will wait.

Well, if you cannot wait the workarounds in version 1.7.1 I can think of are
1. Either apply the software changes manually to your installation ( github.com/exxamalte/webtrees/commit/a42...fe78cb4f26c30a7e7dfb ),
2. Or, after creating a user account that is supposed to be an administrator, make a manual change in the database and change the user's setting name 'admin' to 'canadmin' and make sure the value is still '1'.

• mboucher
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #14 by mboucher
Thanks guys for your lightning help. I was expecting to have to wait for the next version for a fix.
I'll give it a try!
regards,
Mike

Michael Boucher
php8.1
mySQL5.7

More
8 years 7 months ago #15 by klemens
Hi many helpers, for one of the can not speak English and in the progamming is at the bottom, I do not understand what to change. The entries are with me "canadmin / 1" (see Appendix wt_user_setting.png above). I ask for help.

Klemens Miehe
Hannover Germany
anverwandte.info
webtrees 2.1.18
PHP Version 8.2.9
Linux v12015021622323418 4.19.0-23-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.269-1 (2022-12-20) x86_64

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #16 by exxamalte

klemens wrote: Hi many helpers, for one of the can not speak English and in the progamming is at the bottom, I do not understand what to change. The entries are with me "canadmin / 1" (see Appendix wt_user_setting.png above). I ask for help.

Klemens, beschreib doch bitte noch mal auf Deutsch, was genau das Problem zu sein scheint. Aus den Screenshots aus Deiner vorherigen Nachricht konnte ich keine Auffälligkeiten erkennen. Der Eintrag in der Datenbank ist korrekt ('canedit' ist der korrekte Name). Für ein Administrator Benutzerkonto, das mit einer früheren Version (<1.7) erstellt wurde, ist es irrelevant, dass die Checkbox keinen Haken hat. Ich würde erwarten, dass Du mit genau diesem Benutzerkonto auf das Verwaltungsmodel zugreifen können müsstest.
Ein neues Administrator Benutzerkonto kann man allerdings mit den Versionen 1.7.0/.1 nicht erstellen. Den Fehler habe ich behoben, aber der Fix wird erst in der nächsten Version integriert sein.

---

Little detour in German to explore the issue. I'll keep you posted if we reveal anything interesting.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #17 by klemens
Danke.
Wenn ich das „Verwaltungsmodul“ aufrufe, wird mir eine leere Seite angezeigt.

Du könntest dir auch meine Einstellungen über TeamViewer / Skype (klmmie) anschauen.

Klemens Miehe
Hannover Germany
anverwandte.info
webtrees 2.1.18
PHP Version 8.2.9
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by klemens.

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #18 by exxamalte

klemens wrote: Wenn ich das „Verwaltungsmodul“ aufrufe, wird mir eine leere Seite angezeigt.

Ok, das deutet ja erstmal nicht darauf hin, dass es sich um denselben Fehler handelt, der vorher in diesem Thread beschrieben wurde. Der Fehler bestand ja darin, dass ein neu erstellter Administrator den Menüeintrag zum Aufruf des Verwaltungsmoduls gar nicht erst zu sehen bekam.
Wenn Du aber beim Aufruf des Verwaltungsmoduls eine leere Seite erhältst, wie genau hast Du denn dann den Screenshot "administrator.png" erstellt? Das Formular mit dieser Checkbox kann man meines Wissens nach nur über "Verwaltungsmodul -> Benutzer -> Benutzerverwaltung -> Benutzer anklicken" erreichen.

More
8 years 7 months ago #19 by klemens
was mir fehlt, ist die alte Verwaltung

Klemens Miehe
Hannover Germany
anverwandte.info
webtrees 2.1.18
PHP Version 8.2.9
Attachments:

• exxamalte
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #20 by exxamalte

klemens wrote: was mir fehlt, ist die alte Verwaltung

Aha, jetzt erkenne ich das Problem. Ich vermute, dass Du zusätzliche Module installiert hattest - also Module, die nicht in der Standard webtrees Software enthalten sind. Nach dem Update auf Version 1.7.x sind diese Module nicht mehr kompatibel und bewirken offenbar, dass man auf das Verwaltungsmodul gar nicht zugreifen kann. Dieser Thread 30362-module-administration und dieser hier 30398-cannot-open-module-administration-after-update berichten über dasselbe Problem.

Lösung: Erstmal alle Module, die nicht webtrees Standard sind, entfernen (also die Dateien vom Webserver entfernen). Danach müsstest Du wieder auf das Verwaltungsmodul zugreifen können. Anschließend einzeln prüfen, für welche Module es bereits eine Version gibt, die mit webtrees 1.7.x kompatibel ist.