This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.0/1). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Same individual appears several times 5 years 8 months ago #1

• tjsilver
  • tjsilver's Avatar Topic Author
Hello (again!)

I have several individuals who appear multiple in the Individual List - I've attached a screen shot with an example.

I've had a look at the raw gedcom but for the life of me I can't figure out what's wrong.

Any guidance most welcome.

Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Same individual appears several times 5 years 8 months ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The person appears multiple times under Pashley because you have enter them with the surname Pashley multiple times. Each set of names are repeated for each name you enter (the bold name) with all of the alternate names. If you look under Murray you will see the set again (with Murray bold).

Normally you don't see them bunched together because the surnames are very different Pashley/Murray So people can find the surname index under either name and see the alternate names. This becomes an issue when you enter names with only a different given or middle name.
Ken

Same individual appears several times 5 years 8 months ago #3

• tjsilver
norwegian_sardines, thank you for your prompt reply.

So my question now becomes - how can I record their name variations and not have them appear multiple times in the Individuals List? Other genealogy software e.g. FTM allow for 'alternative' name, date, place etc. and allow for setting the 'prefered' data. Can this be done in webtrees?

Tim

Same individual appears several times 5 years 8 months ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I can't read the small text in the screenshot, but it looks to me as if you have entered things like this for the same person.

1 NAME Jane /Doe/
1 NAME Jane E /Doe/
1 NAME Jane Elizabeth /Doe/

IMHO, this is just one name (that you've entered 3 times), rather than 3 different names. (e.g. married names, professional names, etc.)

> and allow for setting the 'prefered' data. Can this be done in webtrees?

webtrees follows the GEDCOM standard, which is that when there are multiple versions of data (name, birth, parents), the one that occurs first is the the prefered one. In the above example, this individual would be shown as "Jane Doe".
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Same individual appears several times 5 years 8 months ago #5

• norwegian_sardines
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Personally, I would only have two entries in the GEDCOM.

1 NAME Mabel Ruth Winifred /Pashley/
2 TYPE birth
1 NAME Mabel Ruth Winifred /Murray/
2 TYPE married

Since the NAME _STRUCTURE allows for a NOTE you could also enter a note that indicate that you have seen the name entered several ways as variations of the base name.

If Mabel normally went by Ruth you could put an asterisk next to Ruth to indicated a preferred name. See the wiki for addition insight into name usage.
Ken

Last edit: by norwegian_sardines.

[SOLVED] Same individual appears several times 5 years 7 months ago #6

• tjsilver
Problem solved.

• Page: