This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: member privileges - Privacy restrictions

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 6 days ago #1

• Shemwell
  • Junior
One of my members/editors works at a county genealogical society, She suggested I allow the family webtrees site to be accessible to researchers in their library. I would like to give member privileges except block all access to living individuals. Most of my current users are editors but I can't see how to set "Show living individuals" restrictions to anything other than visitors or members. Is there a way to restrict a member to deceased individuals?. What is the point in having a registered signed in user set as "visitor" isn't that the same as not logging in at all?.
Barry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 6 days ago #2

• kiwi
  • Platinum
Butt surely the only “member privileges” of registration ARE access to data on living individuals? I can’t think what these researchers would gain by registering other than that.

You, on the other hand, would gain a whole lot of people accessing your site that you don’t know, and have little if any ability to manage. Sounds incredibly risky to me.

But, if you insist on doing it, the the classification of “visitor” seems the right one. It gives logged in access, but no ability to view data of the living.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 5 days ago #3

• Shemwell
  • Junior
If I can set the restrictions I want, It would only be available to researchers in the library who request access to it. I would like to give access to media and sources of deceased individuals of which I do not give to non logged in visitors, lesser privileges of that of a member. I can’t see any differences in assigning a registered user as "visitor" it doesn’t seem to give any additional privileges, isn't that the same as not being logging in at all?.
Barry

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 5 days ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I can’t see any differences in assigning a registered user as "visitor" it doesn’t seem to give any additional privileges, isn't that the same as not being logging in at all?.

You might have more than one tree. Your user can be a visitor on one tree and a member of another.

For example, on my own site, I have a second (private) tree that is used for testing. All my users are set to "member" of my main tree, but "visitor" on my test tree.

> Is there a way to restrict a member to deceased individuals?

You need to give all your members the same access.

One workaround might be to use the "relationship privacy" function.
Set their individual record to be a dummy (or long-since dead individual) and set the relationship path length to the lowest value (i.e. one).

This way, they could only see living individuals that are immediately related to themselves - and there won't be any.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by fisharebest.

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 5 days ago #5

• Shemwell
  • Junior
Thanks for the prompt response.
I created a "Dummy" with no relations to anyone and set the "relationship privacy" function to 1, that sorta works but it still reveals living individuals names with "The details of this individual are private."
Barry

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 5 days ago #6

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Control panel - Privacy: Show names of private individuals
Cannot be set to editors or admins, members can always see it.

I'm not sure whether this actually is a risk, since only names and no other details are revealed. And some context: probably related to other people in the tree with the same surname.

Possible solution: export with privacy on, import as another tree.

Why even let them log in? What distinguishes a library member which you do not know from any other visitor? What extras are there to show?
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by bertkoor.

member privileges - Privacy restrictions 1 week 5 days ago #7

• Shemwell
  • Junior
What extras are there to show?

Media Objects & Source Citations, I have a lot of Census records that are not available on the visitors page.
Barry