This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Logs

Logs 3 months 1 week ago #1

• potain
  • New
Hello all,

Can you please tell me when examing auth logs under Last signed, the programt lists the date, a time and how long ago:
21 August 2018
06:02:56
2 years ago

Does the time field indicate the amount of time the user was logged in or the time he logged on that day?

Also is there a way of recording or finding out whcih pages a certain user visits during a logged in session?

How would you prevent / stop users (members) from downloading /saving pages to their local computer?

Thank you.
Novice in all webtrees matters and in every respect
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Logs 3 months 1 week ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Just checking: you are looking at webtrees Control Panel - User Administration?

The time is not the elapsed time but time of day when last logged in. If he can manage without sleep and request a new page every hour, he might still be logged in.
Note that it may show as GMT without DST corrections. Also found a possible bug: sorting that column doesn't look right.

To see what each user really does, you need to dig into your webserver access logfiles.

You cannot prevent copy/paste. You might disable the shopping cart which has the purpose of downloading portions of your tree. Most users don't even know it's there though. I know of a site that has javascript detecting ctrl-c and showing popups. Personally I have no respect for that.

My philosophy: do not ever publish anything you want to keep for yourself. Do not give member access to people you do not trust. Then you should not need to worry about these things.

Genealogical data (imho) has no copyright. It's the gathering of plain public facts that anyone with stamina can look up. You did not make up facts yourself I hope. You just discovered things that were archived waiting to be revealed. Then why not be happy to share it.

Photographs are different btw. So you can watermark them.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by bertkoor.

Logs 3 months 1 week ago #3

• potain
  • New
Hello bertkoo,

How are you? Thank you once again for your helpful advice.

What triggered my inquiry was a new user who had been logged in for a few hours according to the logs so I sent him an internal message to say hello and poof his name disappeared from the Who is online notification but he is not shown as having logged out on the auth logs. How is that possible?

"Do not give member access to people you do not trust."
Yes agree with you but if you can't trust family who can you trust. A lesson learnt too late for me.

I must admit at making an unforgivable mistake when the site first went online by granting access to everyone that applied even a stranger using false names and probably a temp email. The access logs on the server don’t go back far enough or have been deleted and I can't verify his IP but I am persuaded that's how private and confidential data got leaked to a public genealogy website. The data (fatxs) was not available in any public arena, If I had wanted it made public I would have done so myself. That experience has made me very suspicious and very upset with my own stupidity,

Then why not be happy to share it.”
It is shared but to a restricted audience – members of the family. At least that was the intent before content was pilfered and still is.

All the best.
Novice in all webtrees matters and in every respect

Logs 3 months 1 week ago #4

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
I'm fine, thanks!

I think webtrees shows users as "active" if their session is still valid, which means they have accessed a page in the last 60 minutes or so. So that view lags a bit behind the real situation. Also: do you know whether the direct message is actually read? I never use that feature (it's only me logging in 99% of the time) and I often overlook messages sent to me by visitors, or don't feel the need to respond instantly.

Most people don't log out explicitly, they just close the browser. There cannot be a log of things that don't happen.

Regarding the leaked information: you could try to contact whoever runs the other public site, ask how they got the information, explain you think it should remain private, and kindly ask (or demand) to remove it.
You can search your access logs for the specific I1234 number, and see what that brings up.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by bertkoor.