This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] webtrees Invalid JSON response under Fedora 29

webtrees Invalid JSON response under Fedora 29 5 months 2 days ago #1

• jcewing
  • New
Many of the webtrees administrative functions under "Control Panel" fail with "DataTables warning: table id=DataTables_Table_0 - Invalid JSON response..." after migrating from Fedora 27 to Fedora 29. Displaying the log from webtrees is one of the functions that doesn't work, but by using mysql commands to display the log entries directly from the wt_log table, one finds a more detailed error indication (from an attempt to display the webtrees log from webtrees) of
... admin_site_logs.php:177 Call to undefined function Fisharebest\Webtrees\json_encode(), which is more explcit that the problem is that JSON function support is missing, not that there is some code incompatibility introduceds by changes in release levels.

The problem is that Fedora package dependencies have changed between f27 and 29 so that installing PHP no longer forces installs of all the JSON packages, namely php-json.

RESOLUTION: The Fedora 29 package repositories do still contain php-json. Explicitly installing package php-json (dnf install php-json) resolves the Invalid JSON response issue with webtrees 1.7. I understand the latest Ubuntu distribution has similar issues and a similar resolution. (There is a technical issue with current JSON licensing statements)

I have read that webtrees 2.0 intends to remove the webtrees dependancy on JSON, but I'm not interested in upgrading yet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[SOLVED] webtrees Invalid JSON response under Fedora 29 5 months 2 days ago #2

• jcewing
  • New
Problem solved.
The administrator has disabled public write access.