This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Assigning individual record to new user

Assigning individual record to new user 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

• frisket
  • New
I experimentally loaded my family GEDCOM file into a new installation of WebTrees so that I could make it available to family members for checking. I created usernames for ten people and they can all log in (and they think it's wonderful :-). I have set each accounts to link to the individual's own record, so when they log in, they are the centre of their universe.

The master file is maintained by me, offline, in Gramps, so periodically I will need to update WebTrees with a new version of the GEDCOM file. I have done this once, but the only way I could find to do it was by deleting the previous one and uploading and importing the new one.

While the user accounts themselves are preserved, it appears that the settings for the individual records to which the accounts are linked gets lost. Is there a way to tell it that the new GEDCOM file will have the same individuals with the same IDs?

Or is there a better way to do the update?

Peter
--
Site: blogs.silmaril.ie/family
Host: My ISP's CentOS 6.x Linux 2.6.32-042stab127.2 with PHP 7.2 FastCGI
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Assigning individual record to new user 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I will need to update WebTrees with a new version of the GEDCOM file. I have done this once, but the only way I could find to do it was by deleting the previous one and uploading and importing the new one.

Deleting the tree will indeed delete all the settings (including linked user accounts).

However, you didn't need to delete it.

Just choose the import/upload option. This will replace the genealogy data in the tree with that from a GEDCOM file. The tree, with all its settings and configuration will be preserved.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.