This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Wishes and questios

Wishes and questios 4 months 1 day ago #1

• nicama
  • New
Hi there!

I've recentrly managed to successfully install webtrees and fill it in with some data imported as GEDCOM file from a third party desktop application. It runs now over the net, and a couple of my contributors are testing it now from the distant locations. The whole procces was absolutely hassle free, and required from me absolutely nor line of any sort of script neither need to shell out to a command line.

I found that the webtrees offers quite an impressive bunch of functionalities. Nevertheless I 'd like to give my few wishes for features (overlooked maybe) so far.

1. Interactive tree. Once this feature is a sort of unique and exceptioanally useful one, it would be nice to have it able to expand to a whole size of a display, getting rid of upper and side frames of the page.
2. Interactive tree. Would be good in addition to the full tree to have it filetered by a) direct ancestors and predecessors only, b) in addition to a) close relatives like brothers, systers, adopted children, adopted parents, and their spouses, c) in addition to a) and b) all blood relatives.
3. Lists. Would be great to make it possible to customize the set of columns displayed. Also nice to have the mulpile column sorting adjustable and applied on the fly. Main alphabetic filter would be nice to have as adjustable option, while the list of "All" - as a main. Finally adjustable filters would be great too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wishes and questios 4 months 1 day ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I found that the webtrees offers quite an impressive bunch of functionalities

Thanks ;-)

Interactive tree:

Family trees can get very complicated. The interactive tree must be able to handle all these complications without error.
For example, in the "greek mythology" tree on the demo server, you will find an individual who married his daughter, so the daugher is also a wife.
If you can design an algorithm to display "all relationships", then I can create a family tree that will break it ;-)

Lists:

We cannot sort/paginate the individual list until *after* we have applied all the privacy checks. So, we would need to apply the privacy checks to *all* individuals in the tree. On large trees, this would take a very long time. On many servers, it would not even be possible.

This is why we select a small number of individuals (initial letter, surname, etc.) first, and then show these in a "sortable/filterable table".

In theory, we could do all the privacy checks once, and store these in the database. But because we have complex privacy rules, which can be different for every user on the site, we would need to make hundreds or thousands of privacy checks every time we updated a record. It would slow down the site down too much.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Wishes and questios 4 months 1 day ago #3

• nicama
  • New
Thanks for your reply!

Well, I see, all this sounds reasonable.

What I needed was just to realize that web app for public access and a desktop one for private use differ so much in terms of both security and performance considerations.

Each day I'm learning, and that's great :)