This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Thousands of files in "vendor" directory

Thousands of files in "vendor" directory 2 months 3 weeks ago #1

• JohnDBush
  • New
Hi,

Sorry if an answer already exists... I searched and found nothing on it. Please point me in the right direction if there's something I couldn't find.

There are many sub-directories and thousands of files in the "vendor" sub directory. While the overall physical size of the installation is not massively huge, the large number of small files (over 10,000) cause what seems to be an unnecessary delay in website installation and backup using FTP due to latency. Looking at the contents of the "vendor" directory, I surmise that very little of it is actually used by a basic installation. So, is there a reasonable list of sub-directories that can be safely deleted, or a dependency checker to identify what is actually being used from the vendor directory? For example, can I delete tecnickrom, tecnick, symfony, and patchwork? as well as any others?

Also I assume it's ok to delete all the language\*.mo files that I don't need, as well as prune off /theme/sub-directories (which each contain over 100 files), but please confirm for me.

FYI, I am using 1.7.11, which was originally upgraded from an earlier version when I relinquished control to CPANEL provided by my web service provider. I've only got one flat GED file with no pictures or other media; just ancestry trees.

One thing that's weird is, the WebTrees .zip distributions only contain about 6,000+ files (which is still many), but where would the additional 4,000+ files on my system have come from? The extracted distribution size is only 75 MB, but on my system, it occupies over 250 MB.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thousands of files in "vendor" directory 2 months 3 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
To keep the upgrade as simple as possible, we just overwrite the existing installation.

This means that the vendor folder will contain files used by all the previous versions of webtrees that you installed, as well as the current version.

It is already a challenge to make the upgrade script run within the time/memory limits of many servers.

It is also possible that people may have modified their own installation and added additional files.

By default, webtrees only writes to the folder '/data/' and your media folders (which defaults to '/data/media').

So, to remove *all* outdated files, you could (a) delete everything else and then (b) manually upload the files from 1.7.12

> For example, can I delete tecnickrom, tecnick, symfony, and patchwork?

Well, two of these are required and two can be deleted.

You could compare your /vendor/ folder to the one that came with your version of webtrees:

github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/tree/1.7.11/vendor
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Thousands of files in "vendor" directory 2 months 3 weeks ago #3

• JohnDBush
  • New
Thank you Greg! I will do a clean reinstallation the next time I update. I'll bet that the installation files used by my web hosting provider's CPANEL service have accumulated multiple sedimentary layers over time, and they are just letting them build up, and depositing them into their managed installations like an alluvial plain. I'm going to disconnect the CPANEL manager at the next update and reinstall from scratch, and then go "self managed" from then on. Then I can then periodically check for added contents that I don't need.

-John

[SOLVED] Thousands of files in "vendor" directory 2 months 3 weeks ago #4

• JohnDBush
  • New
Problem solved.

Update (in case anyone is interested)

Results:

Old installation directory size after several cumulative updates (that I believe originated with version 1.7.9):

128 MB (using 155 MB to 258 MB disk space depending on the file system cluster/exent size*)
(about 10,000 files)

NEW installation directory size after clean reinstallation of version 1.7.12:

73 MB (using 89 MB to 151 MB disk space depending on the file system cluster/extent size*)
(about 6,000 files)

* The cluster size is the smallest amount of disk space that a single file can use; typically 4K, 8K, 16K, etc. If you have thousands of small files that are less than the cluster size, there is much wasted space on the disk. For example, 1000 1KB files stored on a disk configured with a 4KB cluster size will consume 4 MB. The same files on a disk with a 16KB cluster size will consume 16 MB. In both cases, the actual data will be 1 MB. Terminology varies slightly per Operating System (Windoughs vs. Linux)

-John
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by JohnDBush. Reason: adding results