This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Error with Webtrees 1.7.12

Error with Webtrees 1.7.12 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Lapierre
  • New
Hello everyone
I have an error that seems to me that I do not understand why and what is the cause.

Could you help me solve it?

/home/cnlglaca/domains/cnl-gla.ca/public_html/lapierre-amerique/autocomplete.php:218 file_get_contents(api.geonames.org/searchJSON?name_startsW...mp;username=lapierre): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

#0 unknown:unknown ErrorException("file_get_contents(api.geonames.org/searchJSON?name_startsW...mp;username=lapierre): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
")
#1 /autocomplete.php:218 file_get_contents('api.geonames.org/search…')

Thank you and good day!
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Lapierre.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Error with webtrees 1.7.12 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
In your family tree preferences, you have entered the name of a "GeoNames" account (www.geonames.org/)

This is used to search a global database of place names.

The error "unauthorized" suggests that this account name is invalid.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Error with geonames into webtrees 1.7.12 2 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Lapierre
  • New
Hello Greg

Should we configure something in the GeoNames account? Or do we just have to add our identifier into webtrees?

Thank you in advance for your help

Error with geonames into webtrees 1.7.12 2 months 2 weeks ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
I have never used this service.

I guess that you must create/maintain an account at geonames, and add the account name in the control panel.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Error with geonames into webtrees 1.7.12 2 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Lapierre
  • New
Ok Greg thank you for your answer

Error with webtrees 1.7.12 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• Rusg323
  • New
Lapierre did you figure this out? I am trying to enable this as well and I am getting the same error. I noticed when i put the API request into Postman, I got the following response:
<geonames>
<status message="user does not exist." value="10"/>
</geonames>

Upon further digging on the geonames forum I noticed that you also need to enable the free web service on your account page in addition to registering for an account. Even after doing this, I am getting the same error. Thanks!

Edit, I just noticed that on their form the noted the following two days ago. I will wait and see if that is the issue:
We had some performance issues due to overload and had to change the config two days ago. This means at the moment it takes longer for all server to sync new accounts.
I think your account should now be visible on all servers.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Rusg323.