This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Slow website

Slow website 1 month 4 hours ago #1

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
I have been having some unusually slow responses on my website recently, and my website error log shows quite a few repeated errors:
/home/adkinsnet/public_html/app/Report/ReportParserBase.php:43 fopen(): Filename cannot be empty
#0 unknown:unknown ErrorException("fopen(): Filename cannot be empty")
#1 /app/Report/ReportParserBase.php:43 fopen('', 'r')
#2 /reportengine.php:136 __construct([NULL])
The IP address has consisently been in the range of 220.243.135.xxx to 220.243.136.xxx
Would the above have any bearing on slow website response?
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Slow website 1 month 4 hours ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> and my website error log shows quite a few repeated errors:

This could be caused by a search robot trying to fetch an old report that no longer exists or fetching an invalid URL.
Can you match the timestamp in the webtrees logs to an entry in the webserver logs, so you can see the details of the request.

> I have been having some unusually slow responses

I fetched a few pages from your site, and the performance seemed fine.
Are there certain pages that have problems, or certain times-of-the-day, etc?

If you look at the source code for a page, you will see some statistics at the bottom.
These include the number of database queries and number of seconds of CPU time.

If the response time is *much* higher than the CPU time, then it is likely that your server is overloaded, and the PHP requests are queueing up to be executed.

You can use the demo-site for a comparison, so see whether your site performance is wildly out of line.

www.adkins.ws/search.php?ged=Adkins.GED
dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/search.php?ged=demo

Your site uses 317 DB queries (versus 27), which is down to your theme/header.
However, the execution time 100ms (versus 20ms) is still pretty good for a page with this number of DB queries.
From this, I'm guessing that the DB runs on the same server as PHP (no network delays), and that the DB has enough memory to cache these results.
So, basically healthy.

You might want to check that you have not set the PHP execution time limit to be too *high*.

Many people assume that higher is better. But if your webserver (apache, nginx, IIS) will only wait 60 seconds for a response from PHP, then there is no point letting a PHP script run for longer than this.

Basically, set it to the lower of
* the webserver timeout (typically 60 seconds)
* the amount of time a user will wait for a response (typically less than 60 seconds!)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Slow website 1 month 3 hours ago #3

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
Thank you very much. This gives me some direction.
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)