This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Open Graph Protocol

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #1

• PKlimis
  • New
Is there any way to add meta tags in webtrees pages such as Open Graph Protocol Meta Tags (ex og:title or og.type) ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
With webtrees 2.0, this would actually be very easy, as the new code structure allows modules to add this sort of markup.

It's something I've already thought about. I'm just not too sure how useful it would be. Mostly due to privacy rules. These tags are targetted towards current information, and webtrees will hide information for living individuals.

But if you can give some specific suggests (e.g. what information to put in what tags), then I'm happy to consider adding it.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #3

• PKlimis
  • New
Well, my problem is that trying to post in fb the List of Sources or Places of my site the result always is a link with title "Search Engine - My web site name".

You can try it out yourself with the demo sources list : dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/sourcelist.php?ged=demo

Not the right title of the page and no photo.

Using the facebook debugger (developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/shar...ist.php%3Fged%3Ddemo)
the result is :
Inferred Property : The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.
Missing Properties : The following required properties are missing: og:url, og:type, og:title, og:image, og:description, fb:app_id
Bad Response Code : URL returned a bad HTTP response code.

Any thoughts how can we solve this problem?

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> Bad Response Code : URL returned a bad HTTP response code.

This is because webtrees does not allow search engines to access the source-list page.

See github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/blob/1.7...ession.php#L484-L488
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
By default, webtrees marks sources a private. Therefore the sourcelist will be empty for visitors (e.g. search engines).

If you remove this privacy rule, then webtrees must calculate the privacy of each source:

A source is private if it is linked to a private individual.

This means that to calculate the source-list, webtrees must calculate the privacy of every individual with a source.
This is an expensive (CPU and memory) calculation.

If you want to make your source-list public, then I would recomment adding a "RESN" tag to every source.

Open Graph Protocol 2 months 3 weeks ago #6

• PKlimis
  • New
I thought that if I could add og:title and og:image as meta tags, I would have find a workout for my problem

About adding RESN tag in every source.. I wiil need your help to do this... I don't know how :)

In Admin pages, I checked that RESN is in "All Source facts" parameters.