This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes

The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 6 days ago #1

• trejder
  • New
The RESI tag is correctly rendered / replaced in "Facts and events" tab as "Residence". But, when you go to "Notes" and check "Show all notes" you can clearly see that this type of fact remains as "RESI".

Other tags in "Notes" are correctly replaced. Problem appear for all languages that I tested.

I don't know if this is a bug or "by design" (and why, if latter).
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by trejder.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 5 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
I guess that you have a note attached to a residence.

e.g.

1 RESI
2 ADDR 1 High Street, Smallville
2 NOTE This house has now been demolished.

The notes tab shows just the notes attached to the individual. When you select "show all notes", it also includes notes attached to facts, names, etc.

If this doesn't answer the question, please post a link to a page with the issue, so that we can see it.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

[SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 4 days ago #3

• trejder
  • New
Problem solved.

[SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 4 days ago #4

• trejder
  • New
Due to regulations made by owners of this non-public tree I unfortunately cannot share a link to it. I can provide as much information as you need, but copy-paste + screenshoots only, sorry.

Described problem corresponds to both "Notes" tab and "Edit > Edit the raw GEDCOM" view. But it seems it was caused by an incorrect GEDCOM constriction.

Thus, this is now solved, but I'm sharing details, so you can verify whether this is or isn't a bug.

By a mistake I used an incorrect record structure for residence and based it on FACT not RESI record. Example:

1 FACT Rymanów, Sanocka
2 TYPE RESI
2 DATE 26 JAN 1979
2 PLAC Rymanów, krośnieński, podkarpackie, Polska
3 MAP
4 LATI N49.579053
4 LONG E21.870306
2 ADDR Jasna 9, 38-480 Rymanów
2 SOUR @S49@
2 NOTE Currently, Sanocka St. in Rymanów is DK28, the main road crossing Rymanów.

If such construction is used, it causes webtrees to not replace RESI-type fact into "Residence" string in "Notes" tab and in "Edit the raw GEDCOM" view:

However, it must be underlined that in "Facts and events" tab everything is correctly rendered and even in above construction FACT/RESI tag is correctly replaced:

When "correct" structure (suggested by you) is used instead:

1 RESI Rymanów, Sanocka
2 DATE 26 JAN 1979
3 MAP
4 LATI N49.579053
4 LONG E21.870306
2 ADDR Jasna 9, 38-480 Rymanów
2 SOUR @S49@
2 NOTE Currently, Sanocka St. in Rymanów is DK28, the main road crossing Rymanów.

everything seems fine and all three metioned places has RESI replaced into "Residence".

For me this is a bug, small or even cosmetic, but still. I prefer cohesion everywhere. So either we treat FACT/RESI as correct construction and replace it everywhere (not only in "Facts and events" tab) or we treat it as incorrect one and do not replace it anywhere.

[SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 4 days ago #5

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
As I see it this is not a bug!

Their is a major difference between the two following tag sets:

1 RESI
2 ADDR 73 North Ashley
3 CONT Spencer, Utah UT84991

-VS-

1 FACT
2 TYPE RESI
2 ADDR 73 North Ashley
3 CONT Spencer, Utah UT84991

The first one is the recommended use for noting a residence. This renders correctly because a standard fact (as defined by GEDCOM v5.5.1) was used and webtrees (and other programs too) will know that this fact represents a "Residence" (or resides at) for the individual or family.

The second one is a standard way to note additional facts not supported by the GEDCOM Standard. The GEDCOM Standard v5.5.1 tells us how to use this type of notation. The TYPE tag is used by definition as: "A descriptive word or phrase used to further classify the parent event or attribute tag. This should be used whenever either of the generic EVEN or FACT tags are used. The value of this primative (sic) is responsible for classifying the generic event or fact being cited..." For example, GEDCOM suggests a word like "Skills". Because the TYPE subtag values are not defined by GEDCOM, no other software program can assume the true meaning of the value unless the sending program provides the true value.

The second tag set value could be interpreted by receiving programs by wrongly inferring that the TYPE value is different than the intended meaning. For example I could have a family member that was in the Norwegian Underground (they were a member of the RESIstance). I could create a fact that was:

1 FACT
2 TYPE RESI
2 NOTE Was a member of the Norwegian Resistance
2 DATE ....

And webtrees (or any other program) would misinterpret the RESI to be "Residence" rather than "Resistance". It would be more appropriate and follow the GEDCOM standard to do the following:

1 FACT Norwegian
2 TYPE Resistance
2 NOTE Was a member of the Norwegian Resistance
2 DATE ....

I do this if I had relatives that were also members of the French/Polish/... Resistance so that all members of any resistance could be listed together.
Ken
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by norwegian_sardines.

[SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 4 days ago #6

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
A Side Note:

The following is technically incorrect GEDCOM v5.5.1
1 RESI Rymanów, Sanocka
2 DATE 26 JAN 1979

The RESI tag (based on the GEDCOM Standard) does not allow a value following the primary tag.
1 RESI Rymanów, Sanocka

Most programs are ok with your construct, therefore no real problem, but if a program followed strict GEDCOM v5.5.1 your data could be lost!!
Ken
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by norwegian_sardines.

[SOLVED] The RESI tag not rendered in Notes 1 week 3 days ago #7

• trejder
  • New
Thank you! Noted and corrected.