This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Error importing a GEDCOM file

Error importing a GEDCOM file 5 months 1 week ago #1

• Alex
  • New
Hi all,

I was importing a GEDCOM file to an existing tree (thus replacing all existing content) and I get this error:

SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '4-M1' for key 'PRIMARY'

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
Alex
tree.cavazos.cc
webtrees 1.7.9 | Ubuntu 16.04 LTS | Apache 2.4 | PHP 7.0.22 | MySQL 5.7.19
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Error importing a GEDCOM file 5 months 1 week ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
It means that you are trying to import two records with the same unique identifier "M1".

The most common cause is that you have a GEDCOM file that contains two records "M1" (or "M1" and "m1").

Open the GEDCOM file with a text editor, and search for a line
0 @M1@ OBJE

Do you have more than one of these? If so, delete one of them. i.e. delete this line, and the following lines that begin with 1,2,3,4,5.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Error importing a GEDCOM file 5 months 1 week ago #3

• Alex
  • New
Thanks Greg,

I didn't find more than one 0 @M1@ in the gedcom file.

question: when you import a gedcom to an existing tree, does it replace the existing gedcom, or adds to it? I'm thinking this could be the problem because I double checked and there are no repeats.

FYI, I used an excel tool to read the gedcom and assign new INDI numbers, mine are all messed up since I've migrated from GRAMPS. The resulting renumbered gedcom I was able to import it into a new tree just fine. After I checked the new tree and found no issue I trued to import this new gedcom into my existing tree and that's when the error occurred. For now I restored a MySQL backup I did before doing all this and the site is working fine, but I wanted to know if the import overwrites or appends.

Regards,
Alex
tree.cavazos.cc

Error importing a GEDCOM file 5 months 1 week ago #4

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Import always overwrites. It says so in the dialog.

Exception: keep media objects. Do NOT tick that box. This also is an option causing more damage than benefit for a very small group.

You could try importing in a fresh new tree, just to check the integrity of your gedcom file.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by bertkoor.

[SOLVED] Error importing a GEDCOM file 5 months 1 week ago #5

• Alex
  • New
Problem solved.
tree.cavazos.cc