This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Auto/Manual upgrade issue

Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 week 3 days ago #1

• vdrumsroland
  • New
I tried to do the auto upgrade from 1.7.10 to 1.7.11 and it stops at "Check file permissions". I've gone thru to try and figure out what error it would be and I can't find anything. Getting to 1.7.10 did the same thing so I manually updated by uploading the zip file. That went fine with no issues.

This time I tried the same thing since the auto didn't work. When I did it this time everything went smoothly for the exception that it wants to walk me thru the setup again like this is a new install of Webtrees.

Any help would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 week 2 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 week 2 days ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> it wants to walk me thru the setup again like this is a new install of Webtree

This implies that you deleted the file /data/config.ini.php

This contains your database connection settings.

It is safe to run through the setup script with an existing system. It will recreate thie missing file, and start using your existing data.

If you deleted the entrire /data/ folder, however, then you may have also deleted all your media files, as this is the default location to store them.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 week 1 day ago #4

• vdrumsroland
  • New
> See webtrees.github.io/faq/upgrade-numeric

I don't think this would apply to my php. I'm running 5.6. I'm sure it has something to do with how the server is setup but I don't know where to even begin to look. I know it's worked in the past.

> This implies that you deleted the file /data/config.ini.php

Here is what I did just so others will know.
I downloaded the zip file and then uploaded it to my server. I took my working Webtree folder and simply renamed it to reflex a backup. I then unzipped the uploaded update. This is when I encountered the problem stated above. Normal as this would be a "new" install of Webtrees.

What I should have done. Before renaming the folder as a backup, make a copy instead and name the copy as a backup. This leaves the original and a copy (backup).

I know this seems to be the long way but I have no program to upload the files automatically. For me it's much easier to upload a single file and then extract it.

Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 week 1 day ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I took my working Webtree folder and simply renamed it to reflex a backup. I then unzipped the uploaded update

If you do this, you must copy the folder /data from your original/backup installation to the new/unzipped installation.

[SOLVED] Auto/Manual upgrade issue 1 day 19 hours ago #6

• vdrumsroland
  • New
Problem solved.