This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.10/11/12). For issues related to development versions please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: Help with FTM 2009 attachments

Help with FTM 2009 attachments 1 week 5 days ago #1

• webtrees
  • New
I just installed webtrees version 1.7.11 on my Synology server. Easy installation and webtrees looks like a very good open source project, I will probably use in for years ahead.
I have been using FTM 2009 (upgrade from 2004) for many years and have 400+ persons and 330+ attachments in my FTM tree.
It's a serious limitation that FTM 2009 won't include the media information in an exported GEDCOM file, even though the GEDCOM format supports it.
I have read that newer versions of FTM can export media information, so can anybody help me with this, e.g. import my FTM file(s) and export it to GEDCOM ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with FTM 2009 attachments 1 week 4 days ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
First, let me welcome you to webtrees. I’ve been using webtrees since it’s beginning.

Second, I’ve not used FTM or RM in a long time so I’m not going to be the best help importing a new GEDCOM from either of them, I hope others with more current import experience can give you a hand.

Third, GEDCOM does not contain any media within it. GEDCOM only has pointers, file paths, to the location where the media resides. In the case of a website the files will most likely reside on your website, so you will need to migrate your media to the website as a separate step.

Once you export your GEDCOM out of FTM you will need to look and see if the exported GEDCOM actually has the media pointers imbedded in the media records, which should be designated as OBJE records in the GEDCOM. If you are unfamiliar with the GEDCOM standard and how it is setup then I can help with this.

I only ran imports once long time ago and not from FTM so I don’t off the top of my head know the details. It is not hard, and if you search the wiki and the help forums you should find other entries regarding import.
Ken

Help with FTM 2009 attachments 1 week 4 days ago #3

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
@Ken, the problem is that FamilyTreeMaker is one of the worst offenders when it comes to adhering to the GEDCOM standards.
genealogytools.com/replacing-family-tree...-to-scrub-your-data/
Quote from our own predecessor: www.phpgedview.net/media.php
Some genealogy applications such as Family Tree Maker do not properly export the file links.
... alas without going into further details.

Prior to v2012 it had "embedded" media files instead of linking to a storage path, stored in an incompatible format.
See support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-...ker-into-Legacy.html
and forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/1...roots-magic/?p=85365
and www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/wiki/doku.php?id=ho...om_family_tree_maker
where it's adviced to first upgrade FTM prior to exporting the GEDCOM file.

An upgrade to FTM 2017 which exports a far better GEDCOM file costs $59.95 and saves quite some time, troubles & headaches.

In short: it's a mess...

user called webtrees wrote:
can anybody help me with this, e.g. import my FTM file(s) and export it to GEDCOM ?
Sorry, I don't have any other genealogy software than webtrees, otherwise i'd be glad to help you.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by bertkoor.

Help with FTM 2009 attachments 1 week 3 days ago #4

• webtrees
  • New
@bertkoor, @norwegian_sardines
Thank you for your advise, I will upgrade to 2017 and do the export.