Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.2). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question PDOException Fatal Error - using Upgrade Wizard

• mallamace
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1 by mallamace
I got the following error after using the "Upgrade Wizard" - it looks like everything upgraded fine because I got good messages like "Copy files…" and "Delete temporary files…" and even got the "The upgrade is complete." message.

But at the very end of the page I see:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away' in /home/content/www/*********/app/Statement.php:82 Stack trace: #0 /home/content/www/*********/app/Statement.php(82): PDOStatement->execute() #1 /home/content/www/*********/includes/session.php(392): Fisharebest\webtrees\Statement->execute(Array) #2 [internal function]: Fisharebest\webtrees\{closure}('b4df28505b64ff5...', 'initiated|b:1;l...') #3 [internal function]: session_write_close() #4 {main} thrown in /home/content/www/*********/app/Statement.php on line 82

What could be causing this error? Is this something I should be concerned about?

I did notice a complaint about my PHP version. "PHP version 5.3.24" does this have anything to do with this error message? I'm also on the following page: "/admin_site_upgrade.php"

Thanks!
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by mallamace.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic PDOException Fatal Error - using Upgrade Wizard
> But at the very end of the page I see:

You can ignore this error.

It means that your server has set the MySQL inactivity timeout to less than the PHP execution time limit.

e.g. MySQL will close connections if there is no activity for 30 seconds, but PHP can run for 60 seconds.

So, if your upgrade took 45 seconds, MySQL would have closed the connection, and PHP would fail to connect.

> I did notice a complaint about my PHP version. "PHP version 5.3.24"

This isn't the (direct) cause of your problem. however newer versions of PHP are much faster, and may not exceed your MySQL timeout.

However, this is extremely old and unsupported. PHP 5.4 is also obsolete and unsupported. PHP 5.5 will become obsolete in a few months....

You really ought to ask your host to upgrade to 5.6 or later.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by fisharebest.

• mallamace
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3 by mallamace
Replied by mallamace on topic PDOException Fatal Error - using Upgrade Wizard
Okay thanks! I just did the upgrade to 1.7.4 and everything looks good.

I'm on GoDaddy hosting, they will be phasing this Classic Hosting out soon. I do have the opportunity to upgrade, but I will probably switch to DownDoggy.com they have more current versions.

Thanks again!
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by mallamace.